1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Nikon Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5 (non-ai)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Damovich, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Damovich

Damovich TalkEmount Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    This is the godfather of all 70-200mm designs, according to the mir.com database, and this 45 year old design (1969) most certainly still packs a wonderful punch. Recently I got a mint copy and though I dont wish to hold on to it, because of the, in my opinion, "weird" push/pull action, it really shines without even stopping it down. It is sharp, it has beautiful contrast en the colors it captures are quite beautiful as well while its bokeh is really creamy. Ofcourse it also has it weaknesses, the mentioned push/pull action for one but it also tends to blow out highlights (which is covered for once its darkened down a bit). The thing that actually surprised me the most was the fact that its just as sharp on the wide end as it is on the long end, and its very well color corrected to boot. All in all it can be had at bargain prices while it still surpasses many of the modern versions (no not the expensive Canons and Nikons ofcourse :rolleyes: ).

*Its the very first version of the 80-200mm Nikkors (non-ai).

Samples are from the Sony A3000

Crop from a larger picture at 200mm (click on the picture for a 50% real-size version)
    14251849420_6922963c29.

Crop from a larger picture at 200mm (click on the picture for a 50% real-size version)
    14251848570_df47eaf43f.

• Like Like x 3