Nikon Nikkor 50mm F/1.2 AI/AI-S

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kaptnkain, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi all,

Anybody have this lens?

I picked one up in an effort to find a more practical normal lens that is still capable for portraiture, but I'm having trouble justifying taking the 85mm off my camera. Sure the lens is tack sharp at F/2, and it's distortion isn't too bad but I find myself thinking of selling it and picking up a 105mm F/1.8, 180mm F/2.8, or a 105mm F/4 Macro. Convince me to keep the lens!
  2. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
  3. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Maybe you should give yourself a little more time with it but if it doesnt suit you, sell it and get what suits you.
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Tough call - I love my old Canon FL 55/1.2 for the occasional shallow focus and for its amazing sharpness, stopped down. (Not exactly the same lens I know, but a lot of these 1.2s seem to have similar quirks - especially wide open.)
    That said, for subject isolation, I'm thoroughly hooked on my Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8. Even at f/5.6, it melts the heck out of a complex background, so I expect the 105/4 model would also delight.

5. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    I'll give it another month or two. I guess the real issue is I have really no reason to use it over the 85 for portraiture - it gets blown away in nearly every aspect. Samyang/Rokinon really need to get off their asses and release their 50mm already.

I'll try to schedule a car shoot, the 50mm should be able to shine there.

Otherwise, if it's out then I'm picking up a 180mm F/2.8D.