Nikon D7000 or NEX-7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by jakri, Sep 1, 2011.

1. jakri

jakri New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I currently own a Nikon D7000, Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8, and Tamron 70-300. It's great kit but I'm getting tired of lugging it all around. Will I get comparable overall quality and especially IQ from the NEX-7? Should I count on Sony/Zeiss for more pro-quality lenses, especially primes, in
    the near future??

2. Knikki

Knikki TalkEmount Rookie

A good question.

As the Nex 7 has 24Mb sensor you would think the quality would be there, but only time will tell when the reviews start coming in.

As for more 'Pro' lens again this will depend on market forces and I think also in what will happen in the M4/3 arena as they have just brought out 2 new primes and as Sony was a little later coming to the market place they are playing a little catch up with the lens.

3. jakri

jakri New to TalkEmount

Sep 1, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Knikki. On paper, the NEX-7 looks terrific and is definitely smaller and lighter, though lens size might not be that much different.
    Though I'm itching to get on the pre-order list, maybe I'll just wait for some early reviews.

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    The only other planned 'high-end' lens for the E-mount is a standard zoom carrying the 'G' branding (the Sony/Minolta designation for their best lenses). On the other hand the Sony A-mount 'easy choice' lenses which are plastic and relatively cheap have got excellent reviews for their optical quality. If Sony can maintain the same optical quality with the E-mount lenses then they should be a good match for all the NEX range.

I suppose it all depends what you mean by 'pro-quality' - build? optics?

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I have high hopes for the future Sony lenses for the E-mount. The first online image samples from the upcoming 50mm f/1.8 OSS look GREAT and that's a cheap $299 image stabilized lens.