Nikon 14-24, Sony 10-18 or Zeiss 12mm for Nex 6?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nex Tex, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I am wondering what the best choice would be for me.

I already have a Nikon 14-24, so I was wondering whether I should get both an adapter and a Speedbooster giving me two lenses in one: a 14-24 f.28 with phenomenal optics as well as 10-17mm f2.0. The disadvantage of course is the size.

The Sony 10-18 is the most economical and comes in a small size, but at f4 it's two stops slower than the 14-24 plus Speedbooster.

The Zeiss is in the middle: faster than the Sony, but not as fast the Nikon. It's least flexible at a fixed 12mm, which I do not find to be a very frequently used focal length.
  2. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Hmmm, if I have a LENS like Nikkor 14-24, I buy some Nikon lens cap for him, something like D600... :) (Superb FF lens and superb FF sensor...)

.. and for NEX something tiny, Zeiss?
  3. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    If you're anything like me, you're usually at f8 or smaller for wide angle, so I wouldn't have thought the loss of speed of the Sony would be a big issue, especially with OSS.

I'd have thought that since you already have an awesome wide angle lens I'd use it, but having said which I've bought a raft of smaller lenses for my Nex rather than dragging my Nikkors around. The advantage of the Nex for me is it's size, so taking large lenses with it kind of negates that.
  4. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    Ok, I will start with regular adapter on the Nikon 14-24 and see how it works. This would not be a go to walk around lens but just for specialized situations. At some point I will either get a native wide angle or a Metabones Speedbooster.

Anybody every try a Metabones Speedbooster with the 14-24?