Nikon 105mm micro

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by BJTeng, Jan 14, 2013.

1. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi does anyone here use their nex7 with the nikon 105mm macro lens?
    Which one better nikon 105mm or the e mount 30mm micro?
    Thanks

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I don't have or use either one, but generally speaking AF really isn't needed for macro and the 105 will give you a bit more room between the lens and the subject.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I love my Micro-Nikkor 105mm - outdoors and indoors!

micro105demo-2. leica-r-lens-4. fresnel-ppw-1.

I do not think I would care to use the Sony 30mm macro for these kinds of product shots. Too short - physically awkward for me to crouch or set the tripod so close to the subject. Outdoors it would catch too much distracting background. 50-60mm can be nice - there are a lot of great legacy macros in that range for very cheap! (I use a 55 or a 60 for my larger vessels in the studio.)

4. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks a lot guys I know what I got to get now
    Cheers!!
    And nice picture Jefenator

5. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Any recommended or brand adapter?
    There's lots of adapter out there, not sure which one should I get
    Thanks

6. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    I've asked this question too and the general consensus is that the cheap & cheerful variety is fine, though some will disagree. I've yet to purchase one myself!

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    That's one of the most discussed things when talking about adapting lenses...
    Some say the China NoName ware fine (ebay 10-15 EUR), others say nothing else than Novoflex (120 EUR).
    I choose one from a company called Kiwifotos. They're made in China too, but you can see which company produce them and they have a homepage too...
    http://kiwifotos.com/

8. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Cheers!!!
    I will take a look

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've had decent luck with Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox. User reviews on Amazon.com are your friend.

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The native E mount 30mm lens would be like an old 45mm standard macro. The 105mm nikon will effectively be a 157mm telephoto macro.

Which one would be better depends on the size of the objects you're wanting to photograph. Like what's already been said, you'll need to be closer with the 30mm but the 105mm places you at a farther distance to the subject.

But besides 'distance,' another important thing to consider here is 'perspective.' The closer you are, the subject will appear rounder (or fuller), for lack of a better word. The farther you are, the subject will appear flatter. Imagine taking a photo of an elephant standing beside it, and another photo from afar. Same elephant but different appearance.

Generally if the your subjects are smaller than a marble (insects and stuff) the 30mm will give you a perspective similar to this scale - like the view point of an insect taking a photo of another insect. With the 105mm the perspective would look more like a cat taking a photo of the insect.

If keeping the perspective relative to the scale is important, the 30mm will be better for objects smaller than say a tennis ball, and the 105mm will be better for larger objects. I would expect that the 30mm would have a much shorter minimum focusing distance than the 105mm, but it pays to check it out.

11. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    good advice,
    however the 105 Nikon would still render the subject exactly the same size, from the same distance on the crop frame, as it would on a 105mm full frame, therefore it would not be a 157mm telephoto as such,as the reach is not extended, but the focal view would be different on the crop frame ie narrower

12. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I actually have the Kiwi Nikon adapter and it works without flaw. Usually, the main problem with any adapter is the ability to focus at infinity which is both easily to work around and not really important for macro photography. There seems to be a lot of variance between copies of every brand with some claiming they work beautifully, and some saying they don't. I've even seen a fair amount of complaints about the Novoflex and Voigtlander adapters. You can probably pick most any one and you'll be fine.

As for the lens, I had the Nikkor on my old Nikon film camera years ago. It's a great lens, super sharp.

13. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    If you want an idea of what the e-mount 30mm can do take a look at the flickr pool for the equivalent a-mount lens:
    Flickr: The Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM - SAL30M28 Pool

For an idea of what a longer focal length lens like the 105mm lens can do, take a look at the Tamron 90mm pool, which is a similar focal length: Flickr: The Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 (Di) Macro 1:1 Group Pool

Main difference for 1:1 macro will be your 'working distance' (distance between the camera/lens and the subject. Potential problems with the shorter macro stem from being so close - eg casting a shadow on the subject, or scaring the subject away (bugs etc). So what do you want to take macro pictures of?, would be the first question to ask.:) 30mm is better for some things, 105mm is better for others.

If you want to use the lens as a dual purpose lens then 105mm might make a nice lens for outdoor portraits and the 30mm would provide a more standard 'normal' field of view (45mm equivalent).

14. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    I would like to take photo of bugs and flower
    Still don't know which lens to get

15. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I have not used either lens, but would say the 105mm would be more versatile due to the longer working distance. Of course if you want AF then the 30mm SEL is the only option, but you don't really need AF for macro. You could get any macro lens of course - Minolta, Canon, etc make some good ones too.

Or you could start off with a Raynox as a cheap way of seeing if you like macro (which is what I did and still do, although I also have a cheap Sigma zoom with 2:1 macro for my A37 and a Cosina 100mm f3.5 1:1 manual focus macro for my Nex. 60/70-100mm gives a nice working distance for bugs and flowers, 30mm I have not tried but would probably use it more for everyday objects around the house and maybe flowers but probably not insects (except for ones that won't fly away like snails or something!).

16. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    I don't need AF
    Is there any other cheaper option beside nikon with similar sharpness?

17. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    ^ My vote is the MF legacy...

Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 (model 52B)

895563_Tamron90mmMacro.

18. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    I ended up buying nikon 105mm
    For the adapter what's the different between the g and f type adapter
    Thanks

19. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Either will work, but the 'G' adapter is for lenses which don't have an aperture ring. The adapter has a ring, but it only gives you about 5 stops to play with, and you'll have no indication of what they are.

20. BJTeng

BJTeng TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks mate!