1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nikon 105mm f2.5 on A7/A7R?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Ares1, May 11, 2014.

1. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Did a quick search and didn't get many hits, am very, very interested in using this as a portrait lens - does anyone have any feedback and recommendations on a lens adapter?

2. John D.

John D. TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Outstanding lens on the A7R. I'm using them with a Fotodiox adaptor (I have both the pre-AI F mount and AI-S version - which are you considering?).

- John

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Have been looking at the ai & ais versions. Would you recommend the fotodiox adaptor?

Thanks

4. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Yep - the Fotodiox (I own the pro and non-pro) is well made, allows to infinity focus (is properly regulated) and is readily available. Let me know if you have any questions about either version of the 105mm, OK? Maybe I'll try a couple of shots with both tomorrow, if that would help?

- John

• Like Like x 1
  5. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    Just wanted to share, I have an a6000 and recently got a Photodiox pro adaptor that did not have exact infinity on my non-ai 105 2:5 I traded it for a Phottix NikonG-Nex adapter (never heard of the brand) and it does a perfect infinity stop for what it's worth.

6. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Apparently - you got a "punky" one... The Fotodiox adaptors run wonderfully on my A7R, NEX 7 and NEX 6.

YMMV, apparently?

John

7. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    I assume the quality is pretty much the same in the AI & AIS versions? yeah if you could post a couple of pics taken with the combo that would be great!

8. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Long day - and just home.. Here is a quick picture of what it looks like mounted..?? I'll try to get a picture of the Nikkor-S F mount 105 in a few for you, OK??

_DSC0057.JPG

- John

• Like Like x 1
  9. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    And the F mount (early version).. I will warn you that both of these lenses are heavy. If you are shooting an A7(r) - you might want to consider the Olympus Zuiko 100mm f/2.8? They are incredible FF lenses - and half the weight/size - with as much sharpness as the Nikkors deliver - and they are a wonderful combination with the Sony sensors.

Anyway - here is that pic....

_DSC0077.JPG

- John

10. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    HI @Ares1

You are most welcome that I took the time to shoot and post these. I hope they helped, even though I wouldn't know?

No thanks required - and none expected, so I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Have a great day,

- John

11. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Nikon 105mm f/2.5 - 435g
    Some other choices:

Nikon Series E 100mm f/2.8 - 225g or 215g (chrome ring)
    Olympus OM 100mm f/2.8 - 230g or 235g
    Canon nFD 100mm f/2.8 - 270g
    Takumar 105mm f/2.8 - 290g

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    hi John,

Sorry - i missed your posts somehow.

Thank you for taking the time to post the shots.

ill have a look around for the OZ 100mm F2.8 and see whats available, one of the reasons i was keen on the Nikon is its easily available in good condition, but didn't realise it was as heavy. does it balance ok with the adapter?

13. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi Ares1.!

Aww - no apology necessary - just glad to have you back in the thread ;)

It balances OK with the adapter, but again, it's the heaviest 105mm I own.? The optical quality, however - is, indeed stunning. So, if you aren't looking for a lighter walk-around lens, but rather a dedicated portrait lens - it might be just the ticket for you? If I was trying for a "lighter" and more portable lens in the 105mm range - I'd opt for either the Nikon Series E 100mm or the Olympus-Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 as both Brain and I previously mentioned.

Best to you!

- John

14. Ares1

Ares1 TalkEmount Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Not too fussed about the weight as it will be purely for portraits, think I will pull the trigger on it :biggrin: thanks for your help.

15. John D.

Oct 7, 2013
    You are going to love it...! As well - here is a shot (HANDHELD - SORRY!) I just took with this lens. In real life - the "flower" is about 20mm across... Taken @ f/2.5 at its absolute closest focusing distance - 1/125th of a sec @ ISO 200 (that should be a bit of a "stress test" ;) )..

Full frame:
    105mm.

1:1 Crop - if you are a "pixel peeper" ;)

Full frame @ f/2.5:

1:1 Crop - if you are a "pixel peeper" ;)

- John

• Like Like x 3