1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 non-AI

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by justaguy93, Oct 3, 2013.

1. justaguy93

justaguy93 TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I came into a 50mm 1.4 Nikkor-S lens and based on my limited research I believe it is a non-AI version of the lens. I've never used the older MF lenses so I'm hoping something with more experience might be able to answer a couple of quetsions.

I know these older lenses can cause some problems on newer Nikon cameras, has anyone used them with a Nikon -> E Mount adapter? Did it cause any issues?

The aperture ring does not seem to actually do anything. I can rotate it but the blades never move. If I move the small tab on the back the blades move nice and smoothly so I know the mechanism is ok. Am I missing something simple or is this lens damaged?

Thanks!

-Justaguy93

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    What sort of problems have you heard about? That's a new one on me.

Once the lens is connected to the adapter, that tab will be locked in place, and the aperture blades will function as intended. Without the adapter, they won't unless, as you discovered, you manually adjust the tab.

3. On to the NEX

On to the NEX TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    I don't know too much about Nikon systems but...

The only problem I can think of is newer Nikon cameras (besides the Pro high end ones, FX formats, D7100 and some other ones) won't meter properly with non AI lenses, but you won't have that problem with the NEX.

4. justaguy93

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    The issue I have heard about is that the nonAI lenses when mounted to a Nikon dSLR can actually damage the mount on the camera.

I should also clarify..with the lens by itself..not attached...I can move the little tab and adjust aperture...but if I twist the ring and change the f# selected on the lens the blades do not move. So I am guessing the aperture control ring is no longer attached to the mechanism that adjustes the blades.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using TalkNEX mobile app

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have a nikkor 35mm 1.4 non-AI and it works with nex using nikon=>EF=>nex adapters. I had to cut the metal part behind the lens to work with SB EF-Nex adapter. The aperture change normally should move the blades.

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's true. Only older film cameras can accommodate non AI lenses, as well as some cheaper cameras like the D40 because these don't have an aperture coupling ring. More advanced cameras like the D200 and D300 must not be used with non-AI lenses.

Just checked on one of my Nikkors: the aperture blades move when the ring is operated, you don't need anything in the adapter to enable that. So it seems to me your lens is defective :frown:.

• Like Like x 1
  7. justaguy93

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hardly surprising as this was part of a dropped camera special off Craigslist. Got it for essentially nothing so figured I might get a free lens out of it.

The adapter I have at home has the aperture control for G lenses. I'm thinking there is a good chance it will be able control the lens since the little arm works so I may still be able to use it.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using TalkNEX mobile app

8. justaguy93

Oct 1, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Well the adapter does in fact work the aperture...good enough for $10!

• Like Like x 1