1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor-N 24/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Nov 22, 2017.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    38592508401_0a4512a848_b.
    puddliage
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

I picked it up on a whim and I am really glad I did. It's far and away my favorite adapted 24mm lens. Usually I haven't really been fond of the various 24's I've had (Konica, Olympus, Minolta snd Canon). They've all been fine lenses but I just never really found myself wanting to use them all that much. For whatever reason I really enjoy using the Nikkor.

• Like Like x 4
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I've got an N-C version of it. I'll have to dig it out and give more time 'on camera'.

3. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I find that focus peaking with the Nikkor is a bit faster and more accurate than with some of my other lenses. it also has a nice old-school look to it that I like.

4. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    DSC01717 (Large).JPG The older I get the less I rely on focus peaking and more on the focus magnification to obtain good focus.
    Quickie photo of our family room mantle with it on the A7ii. No tripod, no setup, just walk in and take a pic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    looking pretty festive there :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I've discovered that my version doesn't get sharp across the image until stopped down some. Oh well, no one ever looks at my pictures of family gatherings anyways.

7. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
  8. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    The 24 does night time....

DSC01798 (Large).JPG

• Like Like x 7
  9. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 6
  10. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I’m constantly surprised at how much I like the Nikkor 24. It’s a little more compact than other 24’s I’ve had (OM 24/2.8 excluded) has a really nice OOF rendering, is reasonably sharp and seems to be more contrasty...I can’t complain really.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
  12. bobbill

bobbill TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2017
    Always on Auto...makes some very decent observations...got me thinking...when I deal with family, I use my small waterproof Lumix...no one really looks close anyway...and to carry one more step, I do not review pics of pets, kids, etc...or anything like them; especially those which might attempt to make statements...the fact some pics are made of only subjects available.

I guess that my photos are very conservative, a hold over from film days when reloading was a PIA...I am careful to not shoot gratuitously. I know it makes for slow learning curve. Must be me genes. If all that makes sense.

Must add, Kevin's (if I can use firs name.) BW pics fascinate the heck out of me. (Nikkor 24mm, 2.8 got me looking and thinking with some envy.)

Snaps are snaps and I use ps equipment...art is art...though most of what we do is snap stuff. Life is good...be well.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I'm not even sure where I picked up the desire to look at things closely. It's become the litmus test for me when I look at a new lens. Then again there are some lenses that perform really well close but their infinity performance isn't great. The Nikkor 24/2.8 and 35/2 have become my go to lenses these days.

14. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    You convince this old dog...am hunting 2.8 at the moment...still have to do comparisons here. Might be I can do by manipulating (cropping) and so on. I have always tended to shoot simple, like Cartier-Bresson did...so never carried more than two or three extra lenses, if that make sense. Figure I can so same with e-mount rig.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  15. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    I am all over keeping it simple. My ideal kit these days is the Nikkor 24/2.8, 35/2 and 50/2. The latter is small and incredibly sharp. It and the Hexanon 50/1.4 are some of my favorite 50's. FWIW I am using the single coated Nikkor N 24/2.8. There is a multi-coated NC version and then of course the newer AI and AiS versions. I like the older version of the lens's build quality myself.

16. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    +1 to that.

35mm, F2 nice lens. No low light ghosts? I had a really old 50 F2 which I never really used and sold it by mistake as non-AI, should have kept. Was prob better than my 1.8 50...but it is what it is now.

I was looking at a 35/F2 and went for the 35-O 1.4 and missed out. Spendy little suckers and missed it.

Yes, simple is it. "Occham" style.

I may have 3-lens small bag in car, but once I step out, just one lens, and more often than not the "normal" or favorite and learned to fix it later, if needed. Tend to adjust position if needed. Also have habit of shooting at infinity at 8/5.6...old film habits die hard.

17. kevistopheles

Jun 18, 2012
    here
    Oh yeah. I shoot mostly at 5.6 and 8 and I'm at my happiest with one lens. It's why I like adapted lenses too...less to think about. Those non-AI 50/2 are something. I have an HC 50/2 and it has a wonderful 3D pop to it. If it close focused as well as the 35/2 or 24/2.8 I'd probably never take it off the camera.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  18. bobbill

Oct 27, 2017
    We do the same things, in different places, together...I know, letting that F2 go was dim, and will always regret it.

19. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

All depends on how much time you have. An image like yours, yes the magnification is a blessing.

However, if there is any movement, peaking works great.

20. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm pretty happy with my 24. It's become my go to lens for car shots of late.
    DSC03023-1.
    This car has some nice paint on it. Just look at how sharp the reflections are in it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.