Nikkor 20mm F4 vs Tokina 17mm f3.5 rmc

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BrorSvensson, Oct 21, 2015.

1. BrorSvensson

BrorSvensson TalkEmount Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi! Im looking for a ultra wide for my a7 and currently the 2 lenses im looking at is the tokina 17mm f3.5 and the nikkor 20mm f4 ai. If anyone have used any of the 2 lenses i would love to hear your opinion.

2. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    I can't speak on the Tokina but I do use the Nikon F 4. However, I use it on the APS-C sensor on my Nikon so I'm not certain if there would be any value in my opinion. On the Nikon DX it is a very nice lens although, as you already know, a bit slow if you require a lens for low light without a tripod. I use it primarily in fairly good light generally at F8 or F11 occasionally I will open it up to F5.6 or even F4.0. I doubt this will help you.
    bruce

3. mnhoj

mnhoj TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    I tried a copy of the 20mm F4 first. It suffered from a very dull left side. Uncharacteristic of the lens for sure.
    I then tried a Tamron 17mm adaptall. Pretty nice and I found one for cheap.
    My fav on the A7 was a CV20mm 3.5. Not as sharp as the Tamron but small and color reproduction was very nice.

4. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    I use the Nikkor 20/4.0 and a Vivitar 17/3.5 which for
    all I know might be the same lens as the Tokina. If I
    could choose between them, I would part with one :)

The 20 is more general purpose, being very compact
    and not as startling in its perspective. If I could keep
    only one it just might be the 17 cuz it can manage to
    get scenes the 20 cannot ... but I have a 24 Nikkor to
    do nearly the job of the 20, so that affects the choice.

Both have minor distortion if you look for it, nothing
    that jumps out at you. The build on the Nikkor is just
    superb, but the Vivitar is not shabby ... it's just not a
    classic Nikkor, but built well enuf to feel trustworthy.

I like that the Nikkor has a more complete focusing
    scale, for estimated focusing which is maybe a lost
    art [like doing math in your head] but I never lost it.
    OTOH the 17 would acoarst be a bit more forgiving of
    a less skilled estimator, and at least it DOES have a
    focusing scale, while many newer lenses don't have
    any at all.

My sincere advice is to buy both. Not joking.

`

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    THanks for the help, i think im going with the nikkor 20mm f4.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    A looong time ago, in 1994, I bought a Nikkor 20mm 1:4 which I parted with later because corners (on 100 ASA slides with a Nikon F3) were visibly unsharp even when just looking at the projection screen without getting up close; clear CA was also visible and not defeatable by stopping down as usual. And distortion was fairly large. I replaced it with a Nikkor 20mm 1:2.8 AIS which was a lot better but not good enough to keep it with my Panasonic G1. The Nikkor 20/4 commands reasonably high prices because it's deemed good and I am of a different opinion.

7. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    im seeing one for sale for 150$, do you think i should go for it?

8. cooltouch

cooltouch TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2014
    Just a couple of quick comments. Golem mentions that the Vivitar 17mm f/3.5 might be the same as the Tokina. While it is built by Tokina (S/N begins with 37), it isn't quite the same lens. I have a Vivitar 17mm and mine has a shallow built-in hood. The Tokina 17mm does not. Also, the coatings are different, and everything I've read on the subject indicates that the Tokina's coatings are somewhat better than those on the Vivitar. So if the Vivitar and Tokina were compared in a head-to-head match-up, you'll probably see the Tokina out-perform the Vivitar by a slight amount.

I've owned the Vivitar for some 25 years, but I've always used it on film cameras until I bought a NEX 7 because it is in Canon FD mount. Recently I also bought a Tamron 17mm because I wanted the additional flexibility it offers.

I suspect you'll have good results with your A7 with either the 17mm or the 20mm Nikkor. I can't say the same for my NEX 7, however. Both my 17s produce muddy, blurry, and very unsatisfying images when used with my NEX. I've been told that it is the angle the light is bent by the lenses and that the crop sensor's receptors aren't able to record it properly -- or words to that effect. This shouldn't be a problem with an FF sensor. I've seen some very nice photos taken with both the Tokina and Tamron on full-frame cameras.

I want to get an A7 one of these days -- not sure which flavor yet. It'll probably end up being whatever I can afford. But I'm hopeful that, whichever one I end up with, it will be able to accurately record detail from an ultrawide like a 17mm.

9. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks for the great imformation, i think i will chose between the 20mm and 17mm by which one i can find in best condtion/cheapest.
    The orignal A7 is a great, you will not regret buying it over all the new ones.

10. Golem

Golem TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2015
    OK there must be more than one version of the Vivitar cuz
    mine has no built-in hood, not even a vestigal mini-hood.
    It has a 67mm filter thread, which is the most forward part
    of the structure.

`

11. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    I have the Tokina. I don't shoot wide very much so I only have these three images to show you.

12826962064_f68b64ee45_b.

12826959694_bf9268fc61_b.

12826552625_11ee29ef61_b.

You aren't going to get sharp edge to edge performance on any old third party wide angle. Simply isn't going to happen. But you can get usable images. All shots above on a7.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrorSvensson

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, the first shot is really nice! I managed to talk a person who were selling his tokina for 120$ to sell it for 90$ to me. Will be fun to use my first ultra wide.

Attached Files:

13. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce
    jay_1149-ABCD.

14. BJW

BJW TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    USA
    Bruce