1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nikkor 105/2.8 D Micro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bargainguy, Jul 5, 2016.

1. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    28006394812_663d4adc48_k. japanese maple by Don, on Flickr

27494182133_d7a02889ef_k. japanese forest grass by Don, on Flickr

28006401392_012ffcf9a1_k. adams needle by Don, on Flickr

Today I had a chance to give my new A7ii a full workout. Chose my 105/2.8 D Nikkor Micro for some test shots, along with a Metabones adapter. None of the Nikkor Micros are clunkers IMHO, but I wanted to see how this one would stand up to full frame sensor scrutiny. All shot wide open or close to it, steady shot on & selected for 105mm focal length.

The lens did not disappoint. I'm getting better detail and colors than anything I had in a Nikon body, but to be fair, all my previous bodies were crop format/APS-C.

What's also interesting is that even though I was shooting in the early morning wide open, the take rate is pretty much 100%. I think the steady shot is the key here. With my Nikon D7000 body and the same lens, I'd be lucky to get a 50% take rate.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    So it looks like your new A7ii is working great for you ;)
    Nice shots!

3. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks, Nick.

I have a decent collection of macro lenses in Nikon mount besides the 105 Micro Nikkor. Off the top of my head: 50/2.8 Sigma, 55 Micro Nikkors in f/2.8 and f/3.5, 90/2.5 "Bokina" Vivitar Series 1, 105/2.8 Kiron (the "Lester Dine" lens), 180/2.8 Sigma, 200/4 Micro Nikkor.

I also had my Lensbaby Edge 80 out this morning, which is a surprisingly good performer for a small inexpensive lens. Is it in the 105 Micro Nikkor category quality-wise? Not quite, but I can do interesting things to the background with the tilt/shift capability that I can't do with "straight" lenses, so I tend to keep it in my bag just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I had the same experience when I first tried my Contax 90 on the A7II. My keeper rate improved dramatically compared to my old, non-IBIS A7.

5. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    David, that confirms what I anticipated with the a7ii. Glad I sprung for the extra $ over the a7/r/s, as I had a feeling that stabilization would come in handy.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't know much of Nikon lenses, but these two above I've heard nothing but great comments for. They have quite some reputation!!!

Nice collection ;)

7. bargainguy

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks, Nick. Actually now that I think of it, there's one more I have in Nikon mount, the 90-180/4.5 Vivitar Flat Field Series 1.

The reason it didn't come to mind is that I keep it on a tripod dolly for a studio setup against a sweep. I never take it out into the field - it's been sitting on that dolly for at least 15 years.

Wonderful lens, and the zoom helps in not having to move the dolly around too much for different size subjects, as I have a rather small area to roll the dolly around.

Originally it was supposed to be released as a medical lens, then Vivitar decided against it and released it as a general purpose macro lens. Never really caught on at the time, and I remember at some point, they were remaindered for $99 - wish I would have paid that, but I paid much more. Of course, now it's a cult lens, as there aren't too many other true zoom macro lenses out there, the Nikkor 70-180 being a notable exception.

• Informative Informative x 1