1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nik collection = free

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Nexnut, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow great news indeed!!!
    Always wanted to try Nik collection

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Just a week ago I considered buying Nik Silver Efex but fortunately held off. So thanks a lot for the heads-up!

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Google said, they will auto-refund anyone that purchased 2016 so you would been good.

That said, I bought it a while back and I think it's great.

While this is certainly a great thing Goggle is doing, this type of gesture usually means the software is near the end of it's shelf life. We'll see...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded and will have play. I used a trail vision of Silver Effects before but didn't purchase it. For free its a no brainer.

6. Kendall

Kendall TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 29, 2016
    Two nights ago I was just trying to decide between Nik, Dxo, and VSCO. So glad I waited!

7. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks Nexnut for the heads up!!!

I've only used LightRoom. I notice that there are seven "collections" in Nix. Do all seven integrate with LR or just certain collections?

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    At my computer I had to install them manually in Preferences -> External editing. I now have 8 Nik presets.
    i-McZm7RH-XL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks Ad!

10. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    Wow. Bought it 2/3 years ago. Mainly used Color Efex, Silver Efex and barely HDR Efex. Color Efex has some really great options.
    Enjoy !

11. robfactory

robfactory TalkEmount Regular

Aug 23, 2014
    Rob
    • Like Like x 1
  12. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I just installed the Nik Collections. To access, I click either the Photo tab at the top or double click the photo I want to edit then select the specific collection. I did not install in the preset section. Not sure if I did it correctly but it seems to work. I found this solution here

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If I remember correctly, the external editor presets aren't added to Lightroom when the presets reside within the catalog, as I have done.

14. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    For anyone using CaptureOne I did a quick experiment using "Edit with...". This process exports a TIFF (you have some options), adds it to the catalog, then sends it to the external program (have to browse to it, seems the NIK plugins are not registered with Windows maybe?). Pretty basic but it works to jump over to a Nik tool with your image loaded. There is an "Open with..." option that lets you edit your file without a TIFF export (or to edit an existing TIFF), but it did not work with my A6000 RAWs because Nik did not appear it could handle RAWs. It is my understanding this is how you round-trip to Photoshop as well.

15. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    When I open a Nik program with a raw file from Lightroom or Photoshop, indeed the raw is converted to a TIFF before showing up in the Nik tool at hand. That's just as well I'd say, I want my raws to be handled by Adobe Camera Raw and not some other program.

16. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Ah! When the collections are installed as you installed, do they create another copy of the image?

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't think so, when defining an external editing preset you just make a link to the app in the Applications folder (Mac) or to the executable (Windows), nothing is installed when making a preset. Here are the presets residing in my catalog, these files are only a few hundred bytes large.
    i-75WqmQr.

Here's one such file, it's just a little piece of text denoting a.o. where Lightroom can find the app and in what file format it has to deliver the image file.
    i-44mLrWL.

18. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks! When I use one of the collections by clicking Photo, edit in, LightRoom creates a new image. I'm not thrilled about that.

19. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Can't be helped I guess, the Nik tools apparently don't handle raw files. Incidentally, the same happens when you open a raw file for editing in Photoshop: it first makes a new image file which is then opened in Photoshop. Photoshop, Nik tools and other programs like Perfect Efex all need the real pixels, not a raw file accompanied by instructions how to process it.

20. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Well, that explains it! Thanks for the clarification and dialogue! Very very helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1