Nightclub Photography

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Bromin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Bromin

Bromin New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2013
    I own sony nex5n 18-55kit and pentax 1.4 50mm
    I need an idea and some tips how to make a nightclub photography
    Will really appreciate your help
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Paging Dr. Deadbear77... Paging Dr. Deadbear77... ;)
  3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Hello, were you looking for portraits? Use the 50mm

Your kit lens will need a lot of light, you can try kicking up the ISO to 3200, if you want to shoot black and white you could kick it up to 6400.

Are you shooting jpeg or raw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Also, depending on the light in the club, a flash with a reflective panel might help.
  5. Bromin

Bromin New to TalkEmount

Sep 29, 2013
    Yes I'm looking for portraits and for group pictures of 5-8 people.
    And yes I'm usually shooting in RAW
    Can I do all this pictures without flash?

What kind of flash diffuser will work.
  6. sliver-surfer

sliver-surfer TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    I don't like flash much in clubs it ruins the ambient lighting
    Manual mode f2.8-4 between iso 800 and 3200
    usually use a 50, 85 or 135mm lens at f4 1600 shutterspeed 1/80
    Here's my club shots
  7. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    It's coming up to New Years Eve and I'm organising a meetup in a bar for which I expect maybe 20 to 30 people may attend. This will be the first year I've had my Sony NEX 5N and would like some tips for settings that work well in dark bars / nightclubs using the equipment I've listed below.

I have the NEX 5N, the standard Kit Lens 18mm to 55mm and the Sony 16mm F2.8 Lens and the Standard Sony Flash that comes with the camera. That's all I've got to work with.

I'm considering taking only 1 lens with me ... is there going to be much difference using the faster lens 16mm F2.8 for groups shots and a flash? I know the larger zoom lens has OSS Optical Stabilisation where as the smaller 16mm lens does not. I usually shoot in RAW + JPEG Mode.

I expect most of the photos I will take will be of groups of 4 to 6 people at a time filling the frame. All the decent photos will end up on Facebook.
    I also see once you raise the flash on the camera a whole bunch of flash options become available. Ideally I'd like to take at least 2 shots with flash of each group photo incase someone has their eyes closed or a bad expression, so I'd rather go for a single flash then the anti redeye flashes which strobe the light before firing. I can easily fix red eye back on the computer.

Any suggestions for settings that I can try with my setup?
  8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    A few things..

1. You can 'fix' red eye, right, but that will turn the eye simply black. No texture, no color - I don't know if you could even get these beautiful eyes in such conditions with your setup, but if so, it would be unfortunate to rip them out.

2. A direct flash will cast harsh shadows and on top of that will make the whole environment be completely dark. So - you'll basically have a few people that look suboptimal both because they are drunk and because you used a small direct light source without anything but black surrounding them. If you're okay with that, go for it. If not - think of some solution, like a cheapo external flash system, a direct light through a small camera mounted reflector or something else. There are tons of possibilities, it all depends on what exactly you want to see on your photos.

3. Test out which one of your lenses suits the job better. I'm pretty sure the 18-55 with OSS delivers sharper images because of the OSS, but then again, when you shoot flash, the camera defaults at 1/60 of a second shutter speed, so it doesn't matter. As long as you shoot purely with flash, take the lens with the focal length you prefer.

4. The best situation would be if the light in the club is sufficient for taking the portraits, but seeing your fastest lens is f/2.8 I doubt it.

5. Don't be scared to go to ISO 3200 or even higher when necessary for some shots (not the flash portraits obviously, but there are always great opportunities to shoots something else in night clubs) - with proper processing, they'll look great.
  9. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas