Night work

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WestOkid, Sep 13, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Moonlit Hilton Head Island - 2 shots on this one. The beach has no lights as Hilton Head has strict light pollution laws. The moon was so bright that balancing the exposure for the moon and the rest of the dark scene was challenging. Also I had a small led flashlight turned on and in my pocket. Otherwise I scared others as they approached someone just standing in the dark. I didn't realize the impact the light in my pocket would have on the scene. It really lit the life guard chair. It was by accident, but I like the effect. In the end I exposed for the moon and then the rest of the scene separately and combined the images in post. The latter resulted in a 2 1/2 minute exposure @ ISO 100.

15198832756_34ecc73b0d_c.jpgBy the light... by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr
    • Like Like x 12
  2. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    That's cool - the light painting of the chair worked out well. It's something I do in quite a few of my night shots when I want a nice starry sky and then some highlighted foreground details - just blast it with an LED :)
    • Like Like x 1