Night-time image shot with the 16-50 kit lens on my NEX-6

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by -et-, May 20, 2015.

1. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I often see negative comments about the 16-50 kit lens, but those do not match my own experience. It may not be the equal of my Zeiss 24mm f:1.8 lens, but I have found it to be a quite satisfactory lens, especially for the price.

Here is an image taken after dark a couple of weeks ago in Vancouver harbor. Shot handheld at 50mm, 1/8 second, f:5.6, and ISO 3200, using my NEX-6.

- Tom -

Vancouver-3.

• Like Like x 8
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice photo!

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Great night capture. I agree with you there in that regard about the kit zoom. I believe designers at Sony optimized it well to be an all-rounder lens.
    I shot at entire evening of street shots with it in Ventura, CA. I didn't have high expectations but was astonished by the number of acceptable photos. All hand-held as well.

4. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I've had a lot of great shots from the kit lens. There are times when it outshines my rokkor 50 f/1.2 in the sheer quality of the pic

5. MAZALA

MAZALA New to TalkEmount

Dec 2, 2016
    That is great to hear. As the soon to be new owner of a A6000 with the above mentioned lens, I'm happy to read that this lens is not as crappy as a lot of people seem to think. Looking forward to learning about my new Sony gear on this forum. Thank you.

6. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Welcome to Talkemount MAZALA

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MAZALA

MAZALA New to TalkEmount

Dec 2, 2016
    Thank you.

8. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    The lens IS crappy but thats made plenty well up for by some great correction software :)
    Great picture btw.