Night shots from Australia

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jeffmurray, Mar 27, 2015.

1. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    I was in Melbourne this week, so I took a shot of the car park - sometimes I wonder about myself.

Paved Paradise the Carpark with a view: Melbourne SouthBank from Crown Metropol.

Sony A7S with the Vario-tessar T FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS.

25 seconds | F7.1 | 24mm | ISO 125

DSC00716-2-Edit-L.

Sandy Bay under the stars: The Boat Shed

Sony A7S with the Vario-tessar T FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS.

1 second | F4 | 16mm | ISO 3200

[​IMG]

This was quite a challenging shot to capture. The Sodium Vapor lights on Sandy Bay Road light the boat shed yellow. So there is a heavy filter on the lower half of the image to correct the white balance. I also tried to shoot a separate shot for the sky and blend the two frames - in the end that proved too unnatural to use. I sat on this for a week wondering whether or not to delete it - and then my daughter seemed to appreciate it so here it is.

• Like Like x 5
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am not crazy about the first one, too much going on.

I do really like the second one though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I love long exposure photography!!! Nice work

What time of the night was the first one shot? I guess I must have been not too dark or perhaps too strong lights from the city to use just 25sec
    And curious why you went with ISO3200 and just 1 sec, instead of lowering the ISO and longer exposure time?

4. jeffmurray

jeffmurray TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 18, 2014
    Hobart, Australia
    Jeff
    Thanks Nick.

For star photography I usually use ISO 3200, widest aperture and 24 seconds. Works well in total darkness.

I started with these settings and lowered exposure until boat shed wasn't blown out. A lower ISO would have worked better for sure. There is a lot of noise in the sky.

Although A7S is pretty good at high ISOs so I didnt worry too much.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TalkEmount mobile app

5. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Interesting photos and I learned something new.

• Like Like x 1