1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Night landscape, here we go again

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Poki, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Headed out tonight to take advantage of the full moon. Unfortunately, the weather was less than stellar.

Still feeling inspired after a five hour walk around my neighborhood, I found a perfect atmosphere for the fifth entry in my "alone in the dark" project.

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/48126456@N05/14883933205" title="Perpetual by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr"> 14883933205_70a35aca73_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Perpetual"></a>

How do you like it?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Works for me. I think it would make a great poster for a scary movie.

• Like Like x 2
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    That does not even look like a night time shot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I like it too - very nice atmosphere it produces :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you all for the replies.

That's what you get when shooting landscapes at night with a full moon on top. ;)

Luckily, I didn't restrict myself too much with the project - the time of the day is not even a criteria. Still, if you look closely - especially at larger sizes - there are some stars visible, which potentially adds a nice surprise-moment when viewing the image.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I like it. Very creep and the type of shot you can spend some time studying. Is that a real person or a scarecrow/mannequin?

I would be interested in the setting you used - I'm assuming a long exposure which means if that was a real person they did a great job of standing still.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, this is me. ;)

I put the camera to the 10 second self timer (the remote doesn't work at this distance at night), press the shutter and run to where I guess I want to be. Of course with such a wide lens it's hard to tell where you stand, and 10 seconds is not much time, so it's pretty stressful. Takes some try and error until it's like you want it to be, and usually I get pretty darn wet - first world photographer problems.

It's a 20 second exposure at f/4 and ISO 100. Standing still for up to half a minute actually is easier than it sounds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow. I thought it was you, but the person seemed very far away. I said, it must be an optical illusion; he's actually not that far. Now I know you are a photographer and part time sprinter. :) It's crazy what we do for photography.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Great job!

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    So far I have loved all of your "alone in the dark" series of photos, this one is in keeping with that trend :D

• Like Like x 1