1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nick from Cyprus

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Mar 9, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I was looking the other time Nick's work
    and I found some very nice shots
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50194292@N05/12884578254/

this guy has quite a lot of Minolta zoom lenses, and I wanted to ask him "officially' when he will have some time to try to 'organize' a bit his work and perhaps present us here how all these lovely glasses work with the nex cameras

Just a proposition

Have fun
    Alex

2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Alex, I think this post is a little rude... Nick can present his work any way he likes, it's not really fair to ask him to 'organise' it for your benefit...

Just my opinion

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I guess that is only a cultural difference. I would not consider it this as rude but as a kind proposition, that actually shows some respect to his work (would you ask to someone that has bad work to present it?).

By organizing his work I meant just to sort the photos he has already in flickr (that is a public website written under his signature) to the corresponding minolta lenses.

Alex

4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    That's how I read the OPs original request - to ask Nick to present some examples of his various images and indicate which lens was used to take a particular shot. Nothing rude about that :)

5. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    I also think that Jose De Bardi has his point also and is good to receive feedback in that sense.

Alex

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Hi Alex,

no rudeness received and thanks for the comments that you like my photos :)

However, I'm afraid I will dissappoint you as far as organizing my photos goes, since no exif data is kept (and I don't manually keep any) when shooting these manual focus lenses :(
    Although some of the photos you saw on my Flickr have been posted here and usually when I post them here I specify with what Minolta lens it was taken (and usually also post some specs ie. ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc).

Having said that, I'd love to do a full shoot out/test with all my Minolta lenses but unfortunately my "free" time is very limited this period :(
    Plus, there are GREAT info (specs, reviews, photo samples) to be found online for these Minolta lenses. I highly recommend the Rokkor files and also our own Ad's homepage
    http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/mainpage.htm
    http://addieleman.smugmug.com/
    http://addieleman.smugmug.com/Lenses

Further more, if you need some info about specific MD lenses from my collection I'd gladly help where I can ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Omg Ad what lovely number of minolta lenses you tried?? ? Respect!!!!:biggrin:
    What is your opinion for the 28-85 minolta lens and the 70-150?
    Regards
    A

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    If you are reffering to me, I think we already discussed the MD 28-85 before on PM ;)
    Its a very versatile lens IMO thus great for an all around travel lens. A bit on the heavy side as far as handling goes and an average weight (not extremely heavy, but NOT lightweight either). It produces nice images, has the familiar Minolta colours. I think at 35mm stopped down by one stop (f/4ish) it gives nice results, and improving greatly at f/8. I like to use this lens not at either end of its focal lengths but more in the middle FLs

Hopefully Ad will chime in soon with his opinion on the 28-85 too and on the 75-150 since I don't own the latter (but heard great comments) :)

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm not a fan of the MD 28-85/3.5-4.5 and I never use it so I had to dig up some test shots made on the NEX-6. It's quite sharp in the center but edge and corner sharpness isn't good enough for me, at 85mm it looks a bit flat while it's contrasty at 28mm. If you don't print big the lens will do well enough and it's a very convenient zoom range for snapshots IMHO.

The MD 75-150/4 is a lens I have used on every mirrorless format I have worked with, µ4/3 (GH2), APS-C (NEX-6) and FF (A7). It handles very well and is relatively light and small, I can even work with it hand-held on the NEX-6. It's quite sharp from f/5.6 onwards and best at f/8 where even landscape shots work out fine. CA is variable across the zoom range but with Lightroom's automatic correction that's a non-issue for me. Contrast looks alright and even across the frame. Recommended!

• Like Like x 1
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have and love that 70-150mm. The only issue is that it starts at 70mm. Makes it hard to use as an everyday lens.

11. newatthisagain

newatthisagain New to TalkEmount

Feb 25, 2014
    I am in need of a zoom.

Can I ask for your opinion on the MD 35-105? I plan to use it on a NEX 6.

12. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Depends on what you want to do with it. For snapshots and as a walkaround lens I'd say 35mm is a bit long, I'd prefer something like 28mm on the short end. There are 2 versions, the early one with macro at all focal lengths and the later model with macro at 105mm. I prefer the later version because zooming is stiffer than focussing which I like best and because it doesn't have zoom creep. It could well be that a heavier used sample has zoom creep.

Optically the lens is good without being spectacular IMHO, the two versions are fairly similar. Stop it down at the f/5.6 mark and it's OK, f/8 is a little better. Center sharpness is very good, corner sharpness is mostly good as well though I wouldn't use it for landscapes (you have to know I'm very picky for that). Mind you, the lens will be perfect if you're doing websized pictures or print to, say, 13x18cm.

Oh, and :Welcome:

• Like Like x 1
  13. newatthisagain

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks for the quick response. I found the later version for a good price. I am looking for a walk-around lens...mainly pictures of the family and some landscapes (I mainly use the FD 24 for this). I was trying to decide between the 35-70 and the 35-105. I know they are very different FL... I rarely shoot over 70, but wouldn't mind the extra reach (as long as image quality is up to par).

14. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'd say the MD 35-70/3.5 (the one with the macro setting) is a notch up over the 35-105/3.5-4.5 versions. It's sharper, contrastier and has quite good corner sharpness as well at f/8 or so, but from all three samples I've seen there's always one weaker side, be it left or right. And that can vary across the zoom range as well. Certainly one of Minolta's best zoom lenses, I've used it on the NEX-6 with excellent results.

• Like Like x 1
  15. newatthisagain

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks. Just what I was looking for. I appreciate your help.

16. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Ad. the ultimate minolta master!