Nick Englebert Folk House

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by toddlange1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. toddlange1

toddlange1 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Eagan, MN, USA
    I visited this amazing rural Wisconsin home this summer of the late Nick Englebert. Nick was a Norwegian farmer who later in life began creating concrete folk art sculptures in his yard. He also completely decorated his home with bits of rocks and glass. You can go into the home if you call and make an appointment with an elderly lady who lives in the area.

Sony Nex-7 with kit lens. I used the in-camera HDR for the first two and last photos.

DSC02034. DSC02033.

DSC01985. DSC01982.

DSC02002.

Some more photos of Nick Englebert's house here.

------------
    Todd Lange

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice story and really nice photos!!! Love those HDR ones ;) (gotta give a try myself sometime)

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It's the eccentrics of the world that make photography interesting.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    wow very interesting, I like to use the HDR in the camera also, but always need a little more PP, very nice photos friend.

5. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Where in WI is this? Would like to possibly check this site out over the summer. Lots of hidden gems like this throughout the state.

6. toddlange1

Dec 22, 2012
    Eagan, MN, USA
    This place is located just outside of a small Wisconsin town called Hollandale. This area of Wisconsin (south and west of Madison) is a really a neat area to visit. I used to live in Madison right out of college before moving to the Twin Cities. The last several years I've organized a 3-day bicycle ride starting in Madison and going through the towns of New Glarus, Monroe, Mineral Point, Dodgeville and back to Madison. Some photos of last summer's bike ride are here.

Some more photos of Nick Englebert's house are here.

Some interesting places in this area that I've visited included:

New Glarus - Lots of downtown summer festivals (including Polka Fest), New Glarus Brewery, several neat old historic bars and restaurants (Puempel's Olde Tavern, Glarner Stube). The Glarner Stube claims to have Wisconsin's largest urinal.

Monroe - Baumgartner's Cheese Store and Tavern, neat old town square, National Historic Cheesemaking Center. They have a big cheese festival during the summer. We happened to go through there during the one day of the year that they make a 90 lb wheel of Swiss cheese using the old school methods from 100 years ago. Video here. Monroe is also the only place in US that still makes Limburger cheese.

Between Monroe and Mineral Point you will find Nick's home and another gem called the Toy Train Barn near Argyle Wisconsin. Here's a video of Jane (the wife of the guy who put this all together). Jane gave us a private tour of the place when we stopped by. She was very amusing when she described her husband.

Mineral Point - Old mining town settled by Cornish miner's and stonemasons. Beautiful town with a rich history which they've preserved at Pendarvis. There is a wonderful B&B/restaurant/Brewpub called Brewery Creek Inn that you have to stop at. We bought some cheese curds freshly made Friday morning from Hook's cheese company, amazing! There are lots of little art shops downtown and a nice old cafe called the Red Rooster Cafe which is a great place to get breakfast in the morning. Here is a nice photo spread of Mineral Point that I ran across.

Mount Horeb - City of Trolls - Stop by the Grumpy Troll Pub & Brewery for some excellent beer and food. Little Norway, near Mount Horeb is a 150 year old Norwegian Homestead and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Madison - Wonderful biking city, home of UW Madison, state capital, lakes, and frozen custard at Michael's Frozen Custard.

A lot of great photo ops in this area of the state.

----
    Todd Lange

7. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Must give the HDR ago myself as not done it yet ...

8. toddlange1

Dec 22, 2012
    Eagan, MN, USA
    That is so true.

9. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Thanks for the tips. I know the area. I have some extended family in the area. The live in Monroe now, originally from Mineral Point, and I believe lived in Belleville for a while too at some point.