Next Lens advice for wedding photography

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by NickCyprus, Jul 30, 2017.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I normally dislike posting such threads because everyone's needs (and budgets :D ) are different, but I'm really stumped at this one...

I've done a dozen of weddings by now (as a second shooter) and have more lined up after the August holidays.

Flash wise I'm covered with 2 Godox (V860iiS and TT685S). I plan on getting a second body later (an A7ii or wait for the A7iii and have my 1st gen A7 as a back up)

So far, I've shoot everything mainly with the 70-200 f4 (situations where light is sufficient to use ISO up to 800, outdoors mainly) and the 55 1.8 (low light situations, indoors mainly, dance floor with flash etc) but its now time to get another lens: All I know is that I need something wider than the 55mm because I really struggle at situations where space is very tight and don't have the option of moving back. So, my mind is either the 35 1.4 or the 24-70 2.8 GM.

I know the prime vs zoom debate (honestly I'm more of a zoom guy, I like the convenience you need at weddings and if I had the 2.8 70-200 vs the f4, then I'd probably used it more indoors - f4 is kinda limiting in many low light situations).

My budget is sadly limited to just one lens for now but please remember that I act as a second shooter so my role is slightly different from the main photographer thus I don't need to go all crazy with my spending budget...

So,

1) I could get the 24-70 2.8 (around 1800euro here) if I stress my budget a little more (probably after 2017 wedding season) and have a 3 lens combo of 70-200, 24-70 and 55. In most of these tight space situations, I honestly don't need anything wider than 2.8 because either we have continuous lighting set up or it involves group shots where you need narrower apertures anyway. The only issue here is the weight and size of the GM... I've tried the GM and its not much different from the 70-200 4 but maybe for a longer period of times it will get kinda heavy...

2) I could instantly buy the 35 1.4 (around 1300euro here) and still have a 3 lens combo. But a) I'm not sure if 35mm is really wide enough (I did some test shots on the last wedding and there were times that 24mm was a necessity - large group shots in tight space), b) if 35mm would be very close/similar to 55mm, c) if a 35mm prime lens would be versatile.
    2A) The other idea here would be to get the 35mm, sell the 55mm and fund the purchase (or basically replace it with) of the 85mm (around 600euro here) so then it would be 70-200, 35 and 85.

Or perhaps wait to see if Sigma releases a fast 35mm for FE?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Nick, the Sigma 24-35mm Art with the MC-11 adapter ? Does Eye AF as well I think.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I didn't thought of that option at all!
    Probably because I didn't like the idea with non-native adapted lenses.
    However, there currently a pretty sweet deal at a camera shop around here where they basically give a free MC-11 with the purchase of any A7 body

I'll take a look at the Sigma ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Plus the MC-11 (Canon EF to Sony version) will work with some Canon EF glass :)

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    To me it seems your ponderings clearly steer you towards the 24-70 GM. With the 35mm you'd gain 2 stops but you don't really need them as you say. While 200 g lighter than the zoom, the FE 1.4/35 is still quite a hefty lens as well. About the limitation of a fixed 35mm focal length, you could also check how often you use something of 50-70mm to see if the zoom would add at the telephoto side as well. Ah, where were the days when we as Sony shooters didn't have all those options? ;) Good luck with the choices, I'd say stretch your budget for the zoom.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    @Mus Aziz@Mus Aziz wow that Sigma is one big and heavy piece of glass!!! :eek-30:
    Although I guess its quite comparable in terms of size/weight with the 24-70 GM.
    With the Zeiss 35mm on the other hand...

The adapter makes things even worse!

7. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks Ad!
    Indeed, I'm mostly in favor of the GM, the only thing that draws me back is the price :(

On the other hand, I'm really beginning to like the idea of a 35, 85 and 70-200 but I'm scared that I'd still miss the wide angle (24mm) in the end in such a scenario...
    Expensive mistakes to make :D

Lens decisions suck :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Though it too is a bit of a heavy beast, my Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 with a LA-EA3 adapter has served me well so far, and cost (used) about half the price of the Sony zoom.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    If you could pick up a used Sony 28 f2 that might give you wide enough? They aren't expensive lenses but are little gems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    How's the AF (speed and accuracy) with this combo?

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David

It's no speed burner. But perhaps "good enough?" Bear in mind that I'm using back button focusing here, so it has to wait for me to press a button.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Pretty quick, the MC-11 adapter with canon or sigma lenses is a bit faster.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Not bad! Thanks to this (and other stuff I've seen about them) I'm going to have to give the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 and the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF serious consideration (with an LA-EA3) for future lens purchases down the road. They may not be quite as fast at AF as the GMs, but they're a fraction of the cost.

• Like Like x 1