1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Next Full Moon is August 10th...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jul 31, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Unless the weather gets in the way, I'm going again. This time a different place on the lake that will let me try for a more scenic "moonscape" view, instead of just a technical shot of the moon. I assume I'll continue to use Manual Mode & Spot Metering like I did last time...let F11 get shorelines / treelines in reasonable focus, as they will all be black silhouettes anyway...well after dark here at 9:00pm 'moonrise' time.

The unknown at this point is the lens...I now know first hand what the 400mm will do with the moon itself, no problem.
    But until I go check, I won't know if I'll have a shooting spot(s) that will let the 400 pull in enough scenery to make a moonscape.
    Planning to run over there next day or so and figure out the best couple spots to set up, take the 400, see what it shows, etc.
    The good news is it's only 10 minutes from the house so its no a problem.

Anybody else planning on the August 10th full moon?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I was planning on it... but I'll be on a trip that weekend - actually driving most of the 10th itself - so no lugging the telescope around with me.
    Maybe I'll be able to either stop and use just the 'new' 2X teleconverter on either the MD Celtic 135 or the TOU/Fivestar 75-200. Or, if the drive hasn't worn me out, I can pull out the Celestron when I get home late that night.

Thanks for the heads-up on the timing though - now I can plan accordingly.

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    It's wrecking the Perseids this year :(