Next FE Lenses

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by serhan, Feb 18, 2014.

1. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    Low SR2 rating but it matches what Sony told before and also summer/fall release dates are not that far.

(SR2) Are these the next FE lenses? 16-35mm, 35mm f/1.4 and 90mm macro.

2. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    16-35 f4, I hope it would be awesome, so I will spend a lot of money.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, at least Sony understands that FE lenses need to be high-quality: except for the 28-70mm kit zoom everything else is Zeiss or Sony G. Now they have to get their quality control in good shape.
  4. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Doesn't seem likely than they'd release a 35/1.4 with the 35/2.8 already out there and so many other gaps in the lens lineup.

Original rumors for that prime slot were for an 85/1.4 or 1.8.

I guess we'll find out eventually.
  5. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    A fast 85mm would be great. Although I'd find a 35/1.4 very useful, a 35/1.4 at this point would make most owners of the 35/2.8 feel somewhat duped (myself included). If I were Sony, I'd hold off on a fast 35 for a year (or two).

Sigma on the other hand, should make one!!
  6. ilovehatephotography

ilovehatephotography TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    A 85mm 1.8 would make sense. Having two 35mm primes but nothing longer than 55mm seems a bit silly to me. I doubt it will be a 1.4 because it seems Sony's philosophy with the FE line is to keep the prime lenses compact. Plus I'm not sure if on-sensor AF can handle the narrow DOF of 85mm 1.4 yet.
  7. GateCityRadio

GateCityRadio TalkEmount Regular

Oct 9, 2014
    I'm looking forward to an 85mm lens. I think its the next logical step for the line-up
  8. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    Contrast detect should have no problems with 1.4 - it's more accurate than phase detect. I would prefer a 135, but I'm not a majority there is suspect...

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount
  9. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure what you mean by contrast detect being more accurate than phase detect AF
  10. ilovehatephotography

May 30, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lol lab results. I've never had real world accuracy issues with phase detect AF.

85mm 1.4 on A7's contrast detect AF would be terribly slow, inaccurate in low light, and not very feasible for portrait shoots.

Otherwise, why not just use a EF-FE autofocus adapter and use the canon 85mm f1.8 or f1.2.

11. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 9, 2013
    Bellingham, WA (displaced Canadian)
    Most of the time PDAF is accurate enough. Nobody said otherwise. general, I'd be inclined to choose lab results to making things up. There is no principled technical reason for this to be true.
  13. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    I find my contrast detect E-M1 focuses faster (single shot) and more dead on accurately than my 5DmarkII did with L glass. I spent a good amount of time micro adjusting the lenses to get optimal results. Nature of the beast.

PDAF with the right algorithms and sensitivity is still king for tracking. But Eye Detect contrast detect AF is a thing of beauty. Fast enough on te A7r for static portraits, and extremely fast on the E-M1.

For landscapes I often manual focus, so it's a wash there :)

14. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    I have an awesome Sony Zeiss 82mm/f1.8 (2.7 FF DOF), auto-focus, Eye AF, Face detection too!
    I would probably won't get an FE 85mm when it comes out. A FE 135mm/1.8 would be nice.

Just put the FE 55mm/1.8 on A6000. lol.