1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEXT at night

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WDuch, Sep 13, 2011.

1. WDuch

WDuch New to TalkEmount

Sep 13, 2011
    Singpaore
    I have recently tired to shoot with NEX-5 (kit lens) a night performance, but it was quite hard to avoid overexposing, bright spots instead of white gowns of flying ballerinas (this was the Corazon de Angeles in Paradise performance). Below is one example, you may see more examples in my Photbucket album
    http://photobucket.com/SinNightVoy2011

The same problem comes with shooting building at nigh, all lights are blurred or it is quite dark. Anyone has an advice what would be the best settings in such conditions? It is different than just shooting the moon, one has to have really very large dynamic range and objects are moving. Will NEX-7 be any better in such situations?

NightVoyage-11-08-80.

2. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    I try to use a tripod or something to brace against, even with my fast lenses. For my moonshot yesterday, I used a tripod, set the C3 to M and adjusted the shutter speed to suit. The Sony LCD previews how the various speeds are going to affect the exposure which makes things easy.

[​IMG]
    NEX C3/Nikkor 180mm

3. WDuch

WDuch New to TalkEmount

Sep 13, 2011
    Singpaore
    Moon is easy as you have only one bright spot; in my photos I have also the whole scene that I want to be see, which is much darker. So I get correctly the bright figure and have black background or get correct background scene and get white spot instead of a figure. This requires great dynamics. How large? Can any camera handle that?