NEX7 vs NEX5R which one perform better in Video shooting ?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Piyapat, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Piyapat

Piyapat New to TalkEmount

Jul 25, 2013
    I need to make a presentation video next week , which one gives better result video ? Thanks in advance.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The NEX-7, but only by a hair. Use the 24 Mbit/s 24p AVCHD mode. But both are not that good. If you want good quality video, go for a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

3. Piyapat

Piyapat New to TalkEmount

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your advise.

4. Archer

Archer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    London, England
    I'm just watching a video I filmed on my NEX 5N in 1080P MP4 format - very pleased with it.

There's a huge difference in price between the NEX 5's and the NEX 7 but remember the NEX 5N and 5R have touch screens and you can touch on the screen whilst filming a video and focus on different points - the NEX 7 doesn't have a touch screen.

I'd actually say the NEX 5R was a better choice for video then the NEX 7 - especially taking into account the price difference - having said that you can't plug an external Mic into an NEX 5 - but for the massive price difference you could buy a nice audio recorder and sync audio later

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, you CAN touch to focus on a NEX-5, but I personally would never use auto focus when filming. Either, I put the camera on a steadicam and the lens to hyperfocus (or a pre-calculated focus distance) or I have it on a tripod and focus manually. You can make sure not getting any focus hunting this way.

As for external microphone - just use an external recorder. If you don't need the highest end surround sound, you might even be off great with a good microphone on a boompole plugged into a smartphone with a recording app.

I agree that the NEX-5N isn't a much worse choice for video than the 5R, 6 or 7. The differences are relatively subtle. But once you realize what's actually possible in such a small camera, it's hard to be satisfied with the video quality of those. Have you ever seen ProRes 422 footage out of the super small 999€ Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera? That really blows you away. Too bad they won't do an E-Mount version ...

6. andy

andy TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 20, 2013
    but the blackmagic is an all out video camera, no stills.... but if all you do is video go for it. I myself use the 7 @50p then i can drop to 25p and have smooth slow mo's.

When filming you always want to be in manual focus mode, the 7 you can have everything in manual which i love! only thing worse than auto focus going crazy mid shot is your iso jumping around :(

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, because you can't really have both. A video camera needs a 2 MP sensor, a still camera, well, needs more than that. Of course in theory, pixel binning could be the solution, but current technology simply isn't up to the task.

As far as I know you can preset the ISO before pressing the movie button.