Nex7 viewfinder issues

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Alastair, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Alastair

Alastair New to TalkEmount

Jul 4, 2015
    Nicholas goulden
    I just got a new Nex7. I bought this after reading the many reviews talking about how good the view finder is. Well I amnot impressed with mine. Glittery and shimmering with very poor color , is the way I would discribe it. And the image is not helped by the focus peaking, set on low.
    When the image is zoomed in for manual focus it looks good.
    So is this what I should expect ? This is normal ?

Thanks

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Very hard to tell on something like this without seeing what you're describing, but I have a couple NEX-7 bodies and they are fine...color images look exactly like they do with the naked eye.

3. Alastair

Jul 4, 2015
    Nicholas goulden
    I definitely can not discribe the viewfinder image that way. Any ideas on a solution ?

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Sounds like something is wrong. NEX-7 EVF is excellent. I would send it back.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There are done adjustments you can make on the viewfinder that might help. Hard to tell over the Internet.

Focus Peaking is meant for manual focusing. If you are auto focusing, that could cause your concern.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  6. Alastair

Jul 4, 2015
    Nicholas goulden
    I'm wondering if my expectations are to high. I reset to factory defaults this morning with no change.

7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I can't imagine what frame of reference someone would have to somehow expect something greater than what the NEX-7 EVF delivers...being disappointed with it, etc.
    To put this in perspective, your post is the first and only post I've ever seen made about a problem with the NEX-7 EVF.

Its brightness level is affected by the amount of ambient light of course...if you haven't already done so, step outside into a bright sunshine lit scene or something...you should see all the colors just as you see them with your eyes...if not then I'd guess there must be some sort of issue with it.

8. Alastair

Jul 4, 2015
    Nicholas goulden
    So what I am hearing here is that the image should be comparable to a SLR veiwfinder ?

9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, it should resemble staring at an image on your desktop monitor.
    How does the image on the LCD panel compare to the EVF pointed at the same subject?
    Is the LCD panel's image also as bad? If so, first check to see if you have spot metering selected. Switch to wide. See if white balance evens out.
    If it doesn't, there is something technically wrong with the AWB/exposure metering sensor(s). Had this happen once with a high end Canon video camera.

If the LCD panel looks normal, and not the EVF, there is a glitch with the feed to the EVF.

Do you know anyone in your neck of the woods with a NEX 7 or 6 to compare cameras with?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Alastair

Jul 4, 2015
    Nicholas goulden
    I wish I knewwhere I could check out another one. One of the reviewers on Amozon also mentions the " dancing " in the view finder.
    I will try comparing the LCD with the veiwfinder tomorrow - its dark now.
    Anyone here in the north SF bay ?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I remember complaints about it being too contrasty and oversaturated, but this depends on your jpg settings. Just set everything to your hearts desire in the jpg menu/options (style (B&W), brightness, contrast, sharpness, ...), ditch the jpgs and process the RAWs.