• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Nex7 blank screen after firmware update

Simon65

New to TalkEmount
Hi all, maybe this is a common problem hopefully!
I updated the firmware to 1.03 and all seemed to go well until time to take a first picture ( I should point out now I had the view option set to LCD only pre update ) I switched the camera off after updating, switched it on and theres nothing on the screen, I mean its not black as in not working but just a dark grey and blank, I can hear the buttons beeping when pressed and it records images to the card but obviously I cant see what I'm doing.
I've tried different lenses, different cards, reformatted cards even tried to re flash the firmware but computer said its not required, so whats happened?
Anyone else had this glitch or am I missing something simple? If only I hadn't had bothered as it was fine before☹️

I

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
It will be a pain to do, but I think you can navigate the menu while looking thru the view finder.

Just be careful and don't poke out your eye.

Simon65

New to TalkEmount
It will be a pain to do, but I think you can navigate the menu while looking thru the view finder.

Just be careful and don't poke out your eye.
Afraid as mentioned it was set to LCD only, so nothing can be seen in it, unless it can be hooked up to a monitor somehow..

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I forget if you can hook up to a monitor or not. I sold my Nex 7 a while ago.
Do you have a cable?
Check the camera for connections, HDMI or mini-USB.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I assume you've switched the camera on/off more than once since the update?
If not, shut it down, take out the battery, wait a while, put the battery back in and power up again.

Simon65

New to TalkEmount
I assume you've switched the camera on/off more than once since the update?
If not, shut it down, take out the battery, wait a while, put the battery back in and power up again.
Yes have tried the battery out routine to no avail so far, but it looks theres like a mini HDMI jack for tethering to a laptop etc.
As to wether I would see the menus or just images taken remains to be seen, will try source a lead as options to fix this look limited now.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Do you have the manual so you can read and follow directions for pushing the buttons, even if you can't see the menu?
I think I found mine on-line as I bought my camera used and it didn't come with a printed one.

michelb

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Michel Brien
There are 2 ways to see info and pictures on this: LCD screen (rear) and optical Viewfinder ( the little square window at the top left of the rear of the camera.
Notwithstanding that your rear LCD does not show anything, it is possible the viewfinder will show you something if you put your eye to it (it may take a second or two before it activates after you put your eye to it). Maybe the firmware update has changed some settings and prevents the rear LCD from showing anything but if it is visible in the viewfinder, you will be able to change settings to maybe get back to normal.
There is a MENu item that allows to change from LCD only to Viewfinder only to Auto which alternates between LCD and viewfinder if the viewfinder sensor detects an eye looking through it.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Try the instructions here, especially step 3.

Also, some people insist you should use the original USB cable when doing firmware updates. I think that is nuts assuming you are using a good quality cable that matches USB specs. But, there is that.

Simon65

New to TalkEmount
Try the instructions here, especially step 3.

Also, some people insist you should use the original USB cable when doing firmware updates. I think that is nuts assuming you are using a good quality cable that matches USB specs. But, there is that.
Success, I hope.. followed the Sony instructions for a camera that dosn't turn on/off (even though it did turn on) to the second and the screen came back to life.
Needless to say the first thing I did was reinstate AUTO in the viewfinder/lcd screen option!
that way it wont be completley blind if it happens again!

This purged whatever glitch caused a blank (not dead) lcd screen

3 Perform a manual reset on the camera.
  1. Remove the battery.
  2. Set the power switch to ON.
  3. Press and hold the shutter button for 30 seconds.
  4. Set the power switch to OFF.
  5. Insert the battery back.
  6. Set the power switch to ON to see if the camera will turn on

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I had thought that step was a "hard reset" meaning everything resets to factory state and thus any custom settings. If it did not reset the LCD/EVF auto-switching I guess it only resets some things, which is good to know. It was the only instructions I could find outside of using the menus to do a reset - obviously problematic in this case.

Glad it is working again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom