1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex6 vs A6000 Focus speed

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by yakky, Apr 1, 2014.

1. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    So I have to admit, I'm tempted by the marketing around the A6000. I own a Nex 6 and the RX/DSLR menus are very tempting (I also own an RX100) as well as the memory feature. Two things that will drive me over the top are adjustable auto ISO (shutter speed and max and min ISOs) and faster AF.

That said, when reading the marketing material I get a distinct feeling that is is not really going to be any faster than the Nex6. The AF area is going to be wider, the dots floating around the screen look cool. But.... they haven't actually said how much faster it is going to be than the Nex6. Am I being overly skeptical? Will my hopes of J1/V1 focus tracking and speed be dashed? Lie to me, tell me it is going to smoke the Nex 6!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey TalkEmount Top Veteran

It's still a bit of a mystery at this point...do you have access to a real store to check & compare?

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    From what I read on DPR, it is much faster than any existing e-mount camera. It has already been released in other Australia and Japan. They all say it's night and day. This willingness to praise it's speed is telling because the Nex 5R/6 had the same hype about PDAF. Once they were released, the web was immediately flooded with disappointed NEX fans.
    So while I expect the A6000 to be a lot better than the 6, hoping for Nikon 1 performance might be a stretch. I had a Nikon 1 J3; nothing is faster or more accurate. That thing never hunts. I suspect this has a lot to do with the small sensor/ deep DOF, because the performance dropped significantly when I rented the 32f/1.2.

4. Peter Chin

Peter Chin TalkEmount Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Peter Chin is my real name.
    Only if it will help you get the shot that the 6 can't?

5. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I remember someone posted a you tube vid comparing the focusing speed of the a6000 to a couple of cams (the NEX6 was absent, the NEX 7 was there). It is pretty fast and the floating dots in the display look amazingly cool, but it all boils down to what you are willing to spend vs what you are planning to shoot.

If the plan is to shoot sports or kids doing crazy stuff around the house, then the a6000 may just give you an edge. If you are planning to use it for landscapes/artistic/staged shots then the benefit is limited. Plus i think it'll also depend on the lens, so if you are planning to buy sony lenses for your a6000 (burning a hole in your pocket) then the new AF system will show its true potential. But if you are planning to mount legacy glass, or even use lenses from your previous cam, then the benefit will be limited.

All that said, you can't go wrong whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jimmoore

jimmoore TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Will the extra speed be usable by all sony e-mount lenses?

7. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I think every lens has its unique characteristics, so I would wait and see how the new body impacts a given lens.

In the end, individuals will judge impact by whether or not it allows them to get more shots. So even if the lens is technically faster, if you still can't focus on that bird before it flies away, you will say it didn't make any difference. :(

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

8. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I already thought the upgrade in focusing speed from the original NEX-5 to the NEX-7 was amazing, so any bit faster would be luxury to me. Having that said, I'm happy with the focusing speed for all I use AF for (mainly studio, portraits and concerts).

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    There is a video floating around the tube of you that shows AF speeds of a6000 a77 and Nex 7 I believe. If I find the link again I'll repost it. But from what I've seen it is Def faster
    And the processor is Def faster. I'd really like to know if the overheating issue has been resolved or not. 9 to 12 mins on my 5r before it overheats in video mode. It really cramps my style if u dig

Didn't see the video was already mentioned Sry.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

10. jimmoore

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks for the reply, but I am more interested to know if my existing Sony lenses collected over the last year will be able to use this new feature.

11. yakky

yakky TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Thanks gentlemen. Shooting moving things really is why I am in the Nex world to begin with. Well that and having shallow DOF. I have a J1 that fills the need for speed and tracking but the menus and UI are worse than Nex. What I really should do is wait for Oly to fix tracking.

12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I've seen video where a 55-210 lens was used to shoot a dog running towards the camera. 11fps and all in perfect focus. So I think existing lenses will be able to keep up. I was a little concerned at first when I saw the "World's fastest AF" was measured with the 16-50PZ lens - That lens is pretty small and doesn't have far to move. But everything I've seen so far shows all the E-mount lenses are able to keep up.

13. jimmoore

Aug 8, 2013
    Ledbury UK
    Jim
    Thanks for that, I am happy with the speed of my nex 7 for what I am doing at the moment, just interested for the future. I thought that I had read that only some lenses had the capability to use the new focusing system.

14. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I think many of the lenses had firmware updates to allow PDAF usage. Until I get a PDAF camera, all my lenses are stuck at the original firmware, maybe someone with a PDAF camera can supply a list of lenses that were updated.

15. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William