NEX6 off-camera flash

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Riquez, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Riquez

Riquez New to TalkEmount

Oct 19, 2013
    I am attending a workshop to learn about outdoor camera flash techniques. All the kit is provided except the camera.
    We will learn about strobes, ttl and manual flash. On & off camera. As well as remote triggers etc.

I am concerned that my nex6 hotshoe may not be compatible with all the equipment, but I'm having trouble to find out exactly as (yet) I don't really know anything about flash photography.
    A couple of people have looked at my nex6 hotshoe & said "oh yes, that's fine" but I have also read online that adaptors are needed.

So, what's the deal? Any advice you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I have used several different kinds of Pocket Wizard triggers with my NEX-6, and they have worked just fine. I believe there are some models of flash triggers that don't line up absolutely perfectly with the NEX-6's center contact, which makes them unreliable. The Pocket Wizards have been rock solid for me.
  3. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    I don't use flash myself (yet) so I'm not very knowledgeable but I have read somewhere that some on camera flashes may not be compatible due to their voltage, and could potentially damage your camera. Don't take my word for it though, just remember reading that somewhere.