Nex6 Moonshot

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Narenek, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Narenek

Narenek TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Recently bough myself a German Equitorial mount and telescope for some night time photography. I haven't yet tried setting the mount up properly due to work and children eating in to my time and a bright moon making it tough for me to find anything to align it with from my back garden. Still i got a quick 20 minutes yesterday to set the mount up just to hold the telescope and manually track the moon. Here's the resulting shot:

Originally this was 29 shots which I edited in LR5 to boost clarity and contrast with some sharpening and a little noise reduction. I also removed some aquamarine colour from the shots. these went in to registax which used the 15 best shots to create a stack and then used it's wavelets to sharpen and denoise. The final shot was again edited in LR5 to boost clarity and contrast while again removing any aqua present. finally into Photoshop to use hasta la vista green to remove a green tinge and finally crop and save it.

Edit original link broke and doesn't seem to allow me to put a new link in this post... so put picture in the reply below

• Like Like x 3
  2. bljarv

bljarv New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2014
    I'm not seeing the image.

Sent from my SM-N900T using TalkEmount mobile app

3. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Hopefully should be able to see it here, damn URL broke.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  4. bljarv

bljarv New to TalkEmount

Mar 5, 2014
    Yes, now I can see it. Stunning photo, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N900T using TalkEmount mobile app

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agree.

Stacking rules.

6. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Awesome shot, I've done a lot of moon shooting with zooms and tele converters but this goes WAY closer. You seem to have gone to quite a lot of effort to remove colour tinges so I'm just wondering why you wouldn't shoot in mono in the first place ? I know the moon isn't completely devoid of colour, I'm just curious. Great shot though, like it lots :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Wow, great moon shot and so much detail !!!

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice shot. I have to do the telescope thing one of these days. What scope/mount did you get?

9. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Barry
    Very interesting. I have only touched on this until now. I also would like to hear more about your methods.

10. Narenek

Oct 1, 2013
    Northampton England
    Actually taking the shot I just connected the Nex to my telescope and put the scope on the mount. I didn't use any tracking just pointed it at the moon and manually moved it every now and then so it stayed roughly in the middle of the shot. This particular shot was from a sequence of around 25 shots.

Most of the editing was done in Lightroom. On the individual shots I increased both Vibrance and saturation until the colours started coming out. This also brought out some unwanted Turquoise colour so I removed this with the colour sliders taking aqua all the way down. then sharpened each frame along with a little noise reduction. I also did some CA removal as there was a little blue and orange CA on the edges of the moon. then stacked the frames in registax and applied the wavelets to sharpen. Then I pretty much repeated the same steps in Lightroom again. Finally edited the picture in Photoshop to use the plug in hasta la Vista Green, crop and save. It's the first time I've tried this so very pleased with how it came out.

11. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Great shot! Serious detail.

12. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5