1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX6/7 with my Nikon lenses...what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nubster, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I have the following lenses:

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
    Nikkor 70-300vr
    Tokina 12-24 f/4

These are used on my D300. I am searching for a NEX6 or NEX7 body with the intentions of using them, or trying them, with the above lenses. I was just wondering if anyone knew whether these lenses or any of the bunch would be a decent match with my new body, once I get one? I do plan to eventually get a couple (or more) proper lenses to go with the new body so I have a nice, compact package, but for now, I figured might as well use what I have since money is a bit tight.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You know as well as I that a good photographer can make any lens work.

As for compatibility I'm sure that there is an adapter for those lens mounts.

Only thing you have to worry about as far as I know is manual focusing, but that's half the fun.

Good luck and happy shooting!!

3. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Actually I just thought about it, they may not work if they don't have a manual apature ring.

My bad

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    What can you expect? Image quality. Uhhh... excuse me- stellar image quality is what I meant to say. Well, the 70-300 might be a little less than stellar, but it will be more than acceptable. ;)

5. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    As a Nikon dSLR owner (D200), I would say the 50 and 90 should match very nicely. The 70-300 will be huge on the NEX body. Not sure about the 12-24 though as I have no experience with that. Make sure you get a 'G' adapter, otherwise you'll have no aperture control for lenses with no aperture ring. Also, the 'G' adapters only give you about 5 aperture settings, and you'll have not real idea what they are (it's unmarked). If you plan on using the 70-300 with a tripod, make sure you find an adapter with a tripod mount, I'd fear the weight of the lens may stress the lens mount if you only mount the NEX body on the tripod.

I use my 28mm Nikon lens on my NEX. My 18-200 and 70-300 stay with the D200 though. That setup has been relegated to auto racing events and wildlife shooting only these days.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    No bad at all. There are adapters that give you limited aperture control for lenses without aperture rings.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ralllyfan- TAG! You're it! LOL

8. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks. I was just wondering if for some reason they just wouldn't work well together. I do really want to at least be able to use the 90mm macro, the 50mm f/1.8, and the 12-24mm. The long zoom, not as worried about it though however would be nice if they pair well. As far as MF, that's fine. I knew that's what I'd endup with, at least not without spending a tremendous (to me) amount of money for an adapter with a focus motor. Not even sure if there is one for Nikon lenses. Even if there is, by the time that's added on, the size and weight will be so great I might as well lug the D300 out. Anyways, thanks for the input. I just need to find the right deal on a body and figure out which adapter I want and get this new camera kit rolling.

9. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    I've used the 50 1.8 on the NEX before, and it should give you great results as that's a sharp little lens! Based on the Tamron's reputation, I'm sure that will be fantastic as well. As both are sharp, MF using focus peaking should be a breeze. You got me thinking about the Tamron now...I need a macro lens! I unfortunately have a few other lenses in line before it though.

10. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    haha...i hear ya. I love that lens. It's not NEX, so I hope it's ok, but I thought I'd throw up a quick shot a got a while back with my Tamron mounted to the D300...

MorningGlory2-1.

11. scinkk

scinkk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 9, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Great shot!
    I guess that using of the 12-24 is no problem on NEX if it using for landscape photos and if can on Nikon body "lock" aperture in lens to (about) f8 at home.
    But for you it will be probably better the aperture control adapter.
    I have an automatic 50/1.8 EF Canon but for NEX I bought a manual A 50/1.8 Canon FD (and some next oldies 50s becouse are cheap :) For 28 mm the same.

12. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Dont underestimate the 70-300 VR it's a kick@ss lens !! I used it quite a bit and despite being rather slow at the long end, it's bleeding sharp and has IS. Cool lens. Adapters will not give you fine control of aperture, aside from that, you should have great IQ from those lenses with any NEX.