[NEX6] 16-50 wont work out the box

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Aaronius31, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Got my NEX6 with 16-50 PZ lens an hour or so ago. Charged it to 30%, haven't upgraded firmware. I get a "Cannot recognize lens, attach properly" message. I have tried putting it on and off countless times with both the "Release without shutter" enabled and disabled. Nothing is on the contacts, or sensor, or anything really.

What I do is I put it on, turn it on, then the aperture blades narrow in 3 times making a clicking sound each time when they shoot back...and I get the error.

Please not that I got this in "Good" condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals which may mean it could be faulty.
  2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    ooh bummer. maybe do a full charge and then reset to factory settings? then a sensor clean (IN SETTINGS) and see if its any better. Sorry to hear its not working straight away. hopefully someone else can recommend something else :)
  3. Aaronius31

Aaronius31 TalkEmount Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Did a factory reset with no luck. Leaving it on the charge for an hour during my next class. Will update firmware also. Hope it works, cause I don't want to wait a week for a replacement :(
  4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Seems like a lens defect. There probably won't be a way around a replacement.
  5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    in the uk amazon warehouse wont provide a replacemrnt, only a refund, thrn you must re-order, or order before your return if you can afford it :(
  6. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Try to clean the contacts with some good quality alcohol and try again. Don't use any kind of other cleaner!

If that doesn't help: Send it back asap!
    Amazon Warehouse in good condition means that it's not in mint condition but it has to work correctly!
  7. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    Bit of a downer there, never mind. "it comes to he who waits"