1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

nex5n with Vivitar MD 28/210mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by freddytto, Feb 28, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    hello mates after playing around with this lens vivitar and taking into account the advice given to me, this afternoon to shoot some pictures seagulls on the edge of dusk, I want opinions and advice ...

All these shots were at ISO 100, Exposure time 1/320, f/22 210mm,

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6793761682/" title="sunset3 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6793761682_3b04833f66_b. "1024" height="683" alt="sunset3"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6939884367/" title="Sunset2 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6939884367_a9ef2ce796_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Sunset2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6939891617/" title="Sunset by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6939891617_f222887f02_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Sunset"></a>

210mm macro, f/5.6 ISO1600 Exp. time1/3
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6793887868/" title="DSC02334 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6793887868_f3ac72cc35_b. "1024" height="683" alt="DSC02334"></a>

210mm macro, f/3.5 ISO 200 Exp. time1/3
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/freddy_007/6940000127/" title="DSC02333 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr"> 6940000127_36413f482b_b. "1024" height="683" alt="DSC02333"></a>

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Beautiful shots... looks like you've got a really nice lens there and your manual focus control is spot on. Skillful use of DOF in your jar shots too... bokeh on that lens is smooooooth!

I have two questions:
    1) How are you enjoying manual focus?
    2) How did you train that bird to fly into your composition at the exact spot and to meet your there at the exact time of day, haha? :)

3. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks mate, really appreciate your comments, the manual approach I have been a bit difficult to handle with ease, but as I mentioned before, I am a novice at this, so I think a lot of practice will make me better,answering the first question friend,the peaking color really helps,I'm very happy bokeh is soft and nice in the 3.5-5.6, the lens is very heavy so do not worry if you shake the camera while shooting,and what the bird was not the only one, was a warm afternoon and I live near the beach we have many around lol ... thanks for the comments ......

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Cool images buddy, the oof rendition on the lens looks quite nice specially with the last image. The shots of the sun and bird are really nice as well, there's a bit of flare though, it's not bad by any means although it is noticable, maybe a lens hood will help? other than that, composition, framing and the timing are all ace.

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Another old-school technique is called "pre-focus." In action scenes (with moving birds, or cars, etc.) it would be difficult to manually focus a lens at the very last moment just when you want to take the shot. What you can do is predict or anticipate where the moving subject is going to be once it enters into your desired space of composition.

Birds are unpredictable so a small aperture (wide DOF) will help a lot, so f22 was a good choice. Cars or other vehicles are easier to predict, because they have to follow a road or lane. With higher shutter speeds and larger apertures (narrow DOF) you can focus on some stones or markings on the road where you think the car will be. So all you have to do is point your camera and follow the car and take the photo when the car is directly on top of the spot on the road that you have pre-focused beforehand.

You actually did a really good job of those birds, moving subjects are not easy with a MF long-telephoto without image stabilization. I can't see any camera shake on the power pole and trees, so you have a steady hand. That's an impressive start, very well done!

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Looks like a nice lens. Keep at it.

Only comment is that the WB might be a bit better and you seemed to have picked up a few sensor dust spots on the bird shots.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I was looking for those dust spots davect01 and thought I'd mention... that's the second commercial airline jet vapour trail I've spotted in recent forum pics posted. :)

Just as well we can clone those things out these days if we have to... which reminds me, apparently the ol'movie "Ben Hur" shot in Technicolor days - had a jet vapour trail in the sky while the Roman soldiers were fighting, classic! lol

8. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks mate, if I told you the lens hood is stay in my house, but it's good tip, certainly now my bag is very small since this lens vivitar with nex5n is very large and not fit, lol, the first photos of the bird, I added a little contrast, saturation and brightness in LR, but the last two are original without process...

9. freddytto

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    thanks for all the tips you gave me, they have helped me a lot, first I felt a little frustrated because I was hard manual focus ..The lens is rather heavy for what is best to use a tripod, or hold the camera still so avoid shake and go over the photos, this is a good point some support to avoid blurring in the photo, sincerely I thank you all for the advice, but every time I love my nex5n and each and every one of the members of this forum ...