NEX5N or NEX7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Dario Sartini, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dario Sartini

Dario Sartini New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    Which fits for you ?
    In my opinion 24 Mp are more I can afford, but the integrated viewfinder ...
    Any ideas ?
    ;)

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    If I were looking to primarily use for manual focus, I'd get the one with the integrated viewfinder (NEX-7). As someone mostly using AF who is getting used to primarily shooting with a rear LCD for viewing, I personally am looking to get the NEX-5N unless I can find a really great deal on one of the discontinued models (NEX-3 or -5).

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I was considering the NEX-5n ... but two things kept bugging me. First, I am CERTAIN that I would buy the EVF for it which adds $350 to the $700 price of the NEX-5n kit ... a total of $1,050.

Second, I know I find it frustrating that my NEX-3 lacks a hotshoe for a "serious" flash with its own batteries and a proper tilt/swivel bounce head. Not only that, but with the EVF mounted the NEX-5n can't use flash at all.

If the choice is a $1,050 camera that can't use flash or a $1,399 ($1,199 body only) camera that not only can use a flash but has several other advantages ... I'll take the $1,399 camera.

That's why I pre-ordered the NEX-7.

4. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    If money was no object, I'd go for the NEX-7 as it has many good points. First, it has a built in viewfinder so you have the view that the sensor sees, then, it has a good range of settings making it as good as, if not better control over a DSLR, then it has that superb sensor giving you more detail too. The only cameras in my opinion that would beat it would be full frame cameras. But as I can't afford it, I've ordered the second best choice — the NEX-5N!

Cheers, Macjim.

5. Dario Sartini

Dario Sartini New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    good point, although I would like to have both in my hands before ordering.
    I hope B&H will have the two on display at the beginning of november ...

6. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    For me spending double the money for having a camera with higher noise is a serious point to consider..
    recent comparisons show that Nex-7 has more noise than similar priced DSLR..

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I hope they keep both the 5N and the 7 available. I as well am not ready to spend $1000+ for a camera.

One of the attractions to me when I bought my NEX-3 was that for only a couple hundred more I could get a much more capable camera than the point and shoot I had. I had always stayed away from DSLR's in the past because the price was just not worth it to me.

I love the concept of the 7 and love that the compacts are becoming more and more powerful.

8. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011