1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

NEX5N or NEX7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Dario Sartini, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dario Sartini

Dario Sartini New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    Which fits for you ?
    In my opinion 24 Mp are more I can afford, but the integrated viewfinder ...
    Any ideas ?
    ;) 

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    If I were looking to primarily use for manual focus, I'd get the one with the integrated viewfinder (NEX-7). As someone mostly using AF who is getting used to primarily shooting with a rear LCD for viewing, I personally am looking to get the NEX-5N unless I can find a really great deal on one of the discontinued models (NEX-3 or -5).

3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    I was considering the NEX-5n ... but two things kept bugging me. First, I am CERTAIN that I would buy the EVF for it which adds $350 to the $700 price of the NEX-5n kit ... a total of $1,050.

Second, I know I find it frustrating that my NEX-3 lacks a hotshoe for a "serious" flash with its own batteries and a proper tilt/swivel bounce head. Not only that, but with the EVF mounted the NEX-5n can't use flash at all.

If the choice is a $1,050 camera that can't use flash or a $1,399 ($1,199 body only) camera that not only can use a flash but has several other advantages ... I'll take the $1,399 camera.

That's why I pre-ordered the NEX-7.

4. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    If money was no object, I'd go for the NEX-7 as it has many good points. First, it has a built in viewfinder so you have the view that the sensor sees, then, it has a good range of settings making it as good as, if not better control over a DSLR, then it has that superb sensor giving you more detail too. The only cameras in my opinion that would beat it would be full frame cameras. But as I can't afford it, I've ordered the second best choice — the NEX-5N!

Cheers, Macjim.

5. Dario Sartini

Dario Sartini New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    good point, although I would like to have both in my hands before ordering.
    I hope B&H will have the two on display at the beginning of november ...

6. riccardocovino

riccardocovino TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    For me spending double the money for having a camera with higher noise is a serious point to consider..
    recent comparisons show that Nex-7 has more noise than similar priced DSLR..

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I hope they keep both the 5N and the 7 available. I as well am not ready to spend $1000+ for a camera.

One of the attractions to me when I bought my NEX-3 was that for only a couple hundred more I could get a much more capable camera than the point and shoot I had. I had always stayed away from DSLR's in the past because the price was just not worth it to me.

I love the concept of the 7 and love that the compacts are becoming more and more powerful.

8. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.