1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Nex with sony A to E adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tombran, Jul 23, 2013.

1. tombran

tombran TalkEmount Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi, my first post. Just joined. Just got the Sony A mount 16-80 Zeiss lens and the Sony AtoE adapter.
    Seems this combo won't let the lens focus to infinity. Any experience with this issue?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The manual lenses often have this problem, but an A-Mount lens should not.

Welcome.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :)

Exactly which adapter do you have? Is it a LA-EA1/2 or is it an aftermarket adapter?

4. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    it's an LA-EA 2

it's an LA-EA 2

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Will it focus to infinity manually? Or does it not focus to infinity at all? Can you try a different lens to see if it's the adaper or the lens?

6. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Sorry I only have the one lens. If i can find a Sony DSLR to test the lens sans the adapter, i'll know more. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for responding

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I know how frustrating it is when gear doesn't work correctly. Hopefully it's something simple and inexpensive to fix.

8. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    So, here's the latest.
    This weekend I went to Calumet and put the Zeiss 16-80 onto a Sony A77. Took various test shots auto focus and manual at f8 which should be sharpest for that lens. Put the same lens on the NEX-7 with the LAEA 2 adapter and took the same shots, again at f8 etc. blah blah blah. Well these's nothing wrong with the Zeiss lens. Sharp as a tack. The NEX setup however was as before fuzzy and clearly sub-standard. So, I eliminated the lens or camera as the problem.

I called Sony Repair yesterday, and after almost an hour jockeying around with tech support, most frustrating, I got a work order and sent the adapter off to them just now. 7-10 working days and I should have some evaluation. Stay tuned boys and girls.

Now about Sony Repair in Laredo TX: I know they have to assume the caller is a beginner or worse, but as I clearly spelled out the process and my conclusions, it was very frustrating to have him start from the beginning with "so give me the serial number on your camera, when did you buy it, from where, at what price", when I was calling about the adapter. Next he went on about the lens, everything to walk us away from the adapter, which was the item that needs repair. When I finally got him to understand that the adapter needed warranty service, and that I wasn't going to send him my cameras and the lens, he had to go off, to a supervisor I assume for 5 minutes, before coming back on with a repair order number. As I said, most frustrating

9. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    The LA-EA2 allows micro adjusting on A mount lenses. If you're still experiencing the problem after service, give it a try.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hopefully it'll come back working correctly, if not...

Great info John, thanks for passing that along. :)

11. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Thanks so much for your reply. What do you mean by micro adjusting the LAEA2?
    Have done a through search, didn't see that anywhere. Can you direct me to a link?

12. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Just looked everywhere. Didn't see anything anywhere in the documentation about adjusting the adapter. I hope you are right, truly, but don't see how to focus the lens on the adapter. Help please. Tom

13. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    Here's the link: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37056

I have not needed to do it for my SAM 35 1.8, but I think the process is the same for any camera body with this feature: set up a target with lines/hash marks and use the control wheel to adjust the focus, then lock it in.

14. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Are you talking about the viewfinder focus on the NEX-7? I have the diopter set for my eye, the focus problem is with the image when using the LAEA2 versus other lenses. I have 2 NEX-7's, 6 lenses, (3 E mount, 2 Leica M's used w/Novoflex adapters, and the 1 A mount zoom used with the LAEA2) The problem has been isolated to the LAEA2. If there is a lens to adapter "micro adjustment", that I'm interested in. I have used registration charts in my focus tests.

15. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    You can see the menu item even without the LA-EA2 attached. Just go to Setup and search for "Micro AF Adj". If you select it without the LA-EA2 attached, it will tell you the function is currently disabled. It should work once you have lens + LA-EA2 attached.

16. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    OK, I get it. Duh!! Thank you so much. Wish I had the adapter back. Have to wait until Sony does it's thing.
    I have 2 Novoflex M to E mount adapters. Think the same micro-adjustment works for them with the M lenses?
    Don't want to mess anything up. The Summicron 35 and Elmarit 90 are razor sharp now.

17. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    You're welcome! The function is for autofocus and only for A-mount lenses. Focus peaking and magnification are your manual focus micro adjusters ;)

18. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Hey folks, here's my response to/from Sony re the LAEA2 adapter;
    They want me to send them the lens
    To: "Flores, Leonardo" <Leonardo.Flores@am.sony.com>

I sent a doc with the adapter that has all the details of my issues with it, including the lens that was the problem, the Sony Zeiss 16-80 zoom.
    After I sent the adapter to you, I became aware of the micro adjustment feature on the Sony NEX-7. It's in the menu list, but not in the index or anywhere else in your manuals and documentation. It's possible that I just need to fine focus the lens and adapter with the Nex-7. Sony really needs to include this information where we can find it, as again, it's not in the table of contents or index. The Talk NEX group led me to this.

I guess the next step is to send it back to me, let me try the micro adjustment, and see where we go from here Again, in the doc I sent to you, I explained that I took the lens to Calumet Photo and mounted it onto a A77 DSLR, and it was completely sharp, so ruling out the lens as the problem.

Please send the adapter back Thank you. Tom Brandau

19. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    Hey folks, here's my response to/from Sony re the LAEA2 adapter;
    Posting this again. Don't think the message I posted was complete
    They want me to send them the lens

To: "Flores, Leonardo" <Leonardo.Flores@am.sony.com>

I sent a doc with the adapter that has all the details of my issues with it, including the lens that was the problem, the Sony Zeiss 16-80 zoom.

After I sent the adapter to you, I became aware of the micro adjustment feature on the Sony NEX-7. It's in the menu list, but not in the index or anywhere else in your manuals and documentation. It's possible that I just need to fine focus the lens and adapter with the Nex-7. Sony really needs to include this information where we can find it, as again, it's not in the table of contents or index. The Talk NEX group led me to this.

I guess the next step is to send it back to me, let me try the micro adjustment, and see where we go from here Again, in the doc I sent to you, I explained that I took the lens to Calumet Photo and mounted it onto a A77 DSLR, and it was completely sharp, so ruling out the lens as the problem.

Please send the adapter back Thank you. Tom Brandau

20. tombran

Jul 23, 2013
    This is weird. The post is truncated. I was trying to copy it from my email. Anyone who wants to see the response from Sony email me at tombran44@gmail.com