1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX to Canon FD lens did not quite fit on the A7II, what has changed?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Jun 8, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I went to a store to test the A7II with my existing Rainbow Imaging Canon FD adapter but it just does not want to fit in and neither it worked on the A7S but worked fine on the A7.

What has changed?

I heard that the regular Fotodiox NEX to Canon FD works. I do have one but I did not have it with me when I drove to that far away store. I am looking at both and cant tell much difference really.

I am thinking on just buying one that says its compatible to play it safe as my A7II arrives on Wednesday.
    What you guys think?

2. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Wait till the a7mk2 shows up and try the ones you have.
    I have a fotodiox for olympus zuiko and one for Nikon f mount. Both work fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    My issue is, if it does not work then I will have to order one and if I am not lucky enough to get it by Friday then my plans for a weekend Zoo trip will be dead.
    Guess that does it...order it is. :D

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So did they change something?

I was under the impression the mount was universal.

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    This is the only information I have found so far

"They changed the mounts to reduce the play that was present in the first A7 cameras. In doing so, the new mount is just slightly thicker. It works fine with native Sony lenses and adapters, but some of the original non-Sony adapters are not machined with a wide enough bayonet for it to mount properly on the new mount."

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Have this issue with my a7s, a couple of my adapters are very tight to mount, even though they mount perfectly to my nex-6. I haven't encountered an adapter that needs excessive force or refuses to mount though.

7. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    As an ex-machinist I can tell you it only takes a couple of thousandths to make a tight connection too tight to mount. I have Fotodiox adapters (LTM, M, Nikon & Minolta) for my legacy glass and while most are snug, others are not so snug. They all work acceptably though, on my Nex-7.

8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Interesting. I decided to play it safe and order another adapter but I was looking at my Fotodiox and the Rainbow imaging and they are indeed a bit different at least to my naked eye. We shall see how it works out. Cant wait for tomorrow! :)

9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I believe the A7ii has an all-metal mount as opposed to the part metal, part plastic one of the A7 and most other E-mount cameras. The A7s might also be all metal mount.

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hawkman is correct. The all-metal mount is a bit thicker for rigidity over the part-plastic one.

Some of the adapters on sale now states it will or won't work with newer A7 models.

Check your current adapters....some use a spring retainer, others are just two pieces of brass with a gap. You can spread the gap for more tension or compress the gap for more clearance.

11. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Im not sure where this adapter fits into the 'will it be to tight or not' category, but it is the single best FD adapter I have found due to its unique one piece design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL...849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce1b21f91

I have always disliked normal FD adapters due to them needing a sliding ring to activate the aperture mechanism on the FD lens. These rings always seem to loosen over time. This adapter does away with that due to a clever design. Watch the video on his ebay page to see how easy it is. My copy fits my A7 perfectly and it is incredibly well made. Plus it is made in Poland as opposed to China which can be rare in this day and age.

12. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Well my Fotodiox from my NEX works BUT I am just not quite able to focus to infinity with my 35mm F2 Canon FD. I just got the Rainbow Imaging for the A7ii specifically and that one is perfect.
    Sadly, I wont be able to test my Lens Turbo 2 with the A7ii as it wont fit correctly. :/

13. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    When you've got the A7-II, why would you need to test the LT-II ? It would produce a minor tele view (in crop or whatever mode A7-II has got) anyway. I am stupid.

14. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    The idea was that if could gain an extra stop of light on the cropped area of the sensor which could be helpful if I wanted to keep iso lower say when shooting rodeo when I usually crop tight to the action anyways.
    But looks like its not worth it or really something that would work.

• Informative Informative x 1