1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX Poorly :(

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Skipperjonce, May 14, 2013.

1. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Bah, first day of our trip to Indonesia with my new Sigma Art 30mm the NEX-5r decided to 'reset' the lens every time I manually focused/moved camera too fast/touched the lens/looked at it funny.

Cleaned the contacts but the problem persists even with my Sony lenses. Still managed to get some good photos but it was always tenterhooks whether the lens would reset at the critical moment!

8739383093_66d0b9566c_c.
    DSC01662 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

8739382403_dd9b5629f8_c.
    DSC01852 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

8739382119_b2715d35bf_c.
    DSC02086 by Skipperjonce, on Flickr

I've now initiated contact with Sony Australia. Very professional guy on the phone - he made me laugh by enthusiastically guaranteeing a minimum turn around time of 10 working days. When I asked him what the maximum was he got a little confused :) 24 hours later and still no returns form in my inbox so off to call again now.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well that sucks! I hope everything works out ok. Nice pics though.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Bummer on the performance. You still managed to get a few nice ones though.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, very sad something like this happening on your holiday trip (where you need the camera the most) :(
    Hope you get it resolved

Nice shots though, with #2 being my fav ;)

5. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Thanks. On a side note I am really enjoying the Sigma lens. Quite glad I didn't splash out on the SEL35 now, although I do miss the low light capabilities of the SEL50. I think i've worked out my 'standard' kit now: The Sigma30 for daytime out and about, the SEL50 for portraiture and indoor/low light situations and the SEL55210 for the odd occasion I want to capture something at distance.

Oh and a nice man from Sony just called and they are picking up the camera between 8am and 1pm tomorrow. Hopefully I get it back by the end of the month as a good friends baby is due around then. Reverting back to the P&S just wouldn't cut it anymore.