NEX oversaturation

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Vincent Ie, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Vincent Ie

Vincent Ie New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2011
    I heard that NEX has slight color over-saturation which disturbs a little bit. A friend of mine is looking at the setting to reduce this and I don't hear any progress from his side until today.

Anybody knows around this issue?
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    That's an issue I hadn't heard of.
  3. NeoTiger

NeoTiger New to TalkEmount

Aug 20, 2011
    I haven't noticed any issue with colour saturation myself.

Ideally you should be using RAW file format, and things like colour saturation can be controlled at the post-processing stage.

Of course, there are people that prefer the convenience of JPG straight out of camera, and there are some settings available to change colour saturation. Go to Menu > Brightness/Color > Creative Style, and choose what style of image you want (ie, Standard, Vivid, etc...). Vivid would produce higher colour saturation images. You can also further customise these Creative Styles by hitting the Options button.
  4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    No issue for me either but then I rarely look at the jpegs.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I've got to disagree.
    In fact when I first got my NEX-3, I thought the colors were too bland.....I still shoot with a slight saturation increase in my camera settings...
  6. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Since changing to RAW my pictures look (to my old eyes) much more vibrant and contrasty. I didn't realise there would be such difference from Jpegs and its much more fun using RAW, I almost feel like a proper photographer:rolleyes:
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    RAW is what I shoot in also...
  8. navinmahabir

navinmahabir New to TalkEmount

Sony, in general, has different saturation characteristics than on other camera manufacturers. Yes, I know, that's an obvious statement. I personally find the out of box settings to be a little more saturated than Olympuses, but less than Canons, but not more than Nikons - with a different color palette than any of those. But no matter what the out of box settings, the NEX allows a large amount of control over saturation, color temperature, and white balance - all of which means you can make the color of your images look anyway you want. And all that is accessible in JPEG settings. Of course, shoot RAW and adjustment is infinite.