1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX modified AF/MF button...

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by BruPri, Mar 16, 2013.

1. BruPri

BruPri TalkEmount Regular

Aug 7, 2011
    After seeing a previous review with a mention by Gus Lazzari, I decided that his idea of adding a Leica red lens dot to the AF/MF of the NEX-7 was something I wanted to try. Im frugal and wanted to do this but not pay for a Leica part. My daughter however has a ton of beads, she won't miss just one! I took a small white/pearlescent one, took an Exacto knife and split it down the middle then sanded it lightly to get a nice flat surface. Cleaned the existing button and the bead half with isopropyl alcohol, then a toothpick with a tiny bit of superglue to attach. Much easier to zoom focus now.
    Zoom button.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Neat idea!

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    From here it looks like it is supposed to be there.

4. BruPri

Aug 7, 2011
    My daughter might disagree when she finds her bead missing...:D

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. There are a lot of these kind of soft button thingies for the iPhone home button, I might try modifying one of those.

6. BruPri

Aug 7, 2011
    The home button stickers, if the same size as the home button on an iPhone, seem to be 2/3 larger than what would fit over the AF/MF button to work as you would not want to inhibit the rotation of the outer switch surrounding the button. I'm sure there are smaller peel and stick buttons for something else out there that would be the right size

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yeah, but things like that are sold all over the place here on the street for pennies. I should be able to cut one to fit or just have the street vendor cut it for me. I do this with screen protectors. I use screen protectors for smart phones and the vendor cuts it to size and puts it on. They are so cheap that you I just change them all the time. things like this and lens caps are really, really cheap in China.