1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nex lens recommendations

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by shortnick81, Jul 21, 2013.

1. shortnick81

shortnick81 New to TalkEmount

Jul 21, 2013
    Hello everyone!
    I'm a sort of a beginner to the camera world. I just purchased the nex 6 last week and have been playing around with it and trying to learn all the controls. I have a question for everyone. My wife and I will be visiting Paris and nice in a month. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for lenses. I'm not crazy about the power zoom lens the camera came with. And since this will probably my only visit there I really want to capture great shots. Thanks!

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nothing beats a fast normal prime to start with. Sony has the 24mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8 to go with, both fast enough to capture shots even in pretty low light. If you don't need autofocus, there are plenty of legacy lenses too, which are quite a bit cheaper.

3. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    I really quite like the 16-50 - I've got the Sigma 30mm 2.8 and really like that, would be great for Paris but use the 16-50 for wider angles and fitting the Eiffel Tower in :)

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Even though a legacy MF addict myself, I'd suggest a Sony AF lens for your case (beginner and important/once-in-a-lifetime trip)...

Lecacy MF lenses are awesome but you need some time practising to get the best out of them and not have many bad photos.

Having said that, I think you'll be fine with the 16-50 PZ (there is a thread in the "native lens sample image archive sub-forum to get an idea what this lens can do) and if you feel you need a longer FL lens I'd suggest the SEL55-210mm

Welcome ;)

5. shortnick81

shortnick81 New to TalkEmount

Jul 21, 2013
    Great! Thank you guys for all your great suggestions! I appreciate it!

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree with Nick, better for a beginner and an event where you need to take good memories of your trip, the best solution is to go for AF, Sel 16mm, wide angle 16-50mm is a good option, for those panos and views would be ideal as like the cheap sigma 19mm f2.8 and why not the 30mm f2.8, now if you need something faster go for the 35mm f1.8.

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Isn't the 16-50 the very power zoom that OP isn't crazy about ?

I am not crazy about 18-55, and that's supposed to be slightly better than 16-50 :(. To be fair, it's OK when stopped down to f8 or so. But not that good wide open.

2OP: I think your best bet is to get Sigma 19/2.8, it's going to be wide enough for most occasions, and it's a good sharp lens, and fairly fast.

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The Sigmas are great lenses. But if I were to take along a prime (and I most definitely would), I'd opt for a faster prime that would be useful for those inevitable night shots along the Seine, and for interiors in the Louvre and Versailles. For me it would be the Sony 35mm f/1.8, and if money were no object, the Sony 24mm f/1.8

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    35mm is going to be pretty limiting. When I go to NYC or Chicago I tend to shoot below 20mm most of the time, and if anything, the streets are wider there. When we were in Paris I was still shooting film, and most of my architectural shots would be on the wide end of 28-90 lens, which is like 18 - 19mm on Sony.

Given the lack of a high quality fast zoom for Nex, the second best solution would be to bring both 19/2.8 for architecture, and 30/2.8 or better else 35 1/8 for interiors.

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    You're right about 35mm being on the narrow side, Amamba. But I was thinking that most of shortnick81's outdoor architecture shots would be well handled with the 16-50mm. On some of those tight Parisian streets, even a 19mm could be inadequate.

11. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    That's absolutely correct. However, having used the 18-55 kit, I would not want to rely on it unless I can keep apertures around f7-8. It's not terrible wide open, but very mediocre. And 16-50 is supposed to be even slightly worse. So I'd rather keep it as a backup and use a sharp prime.

12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sorry, Amamba, I don't want to get this thread off track, but I just don't agree that either the 18-55 or the 16-50 are "very mediocre." They're as good as almost any other kit lens available today, and the small size of the 16-50 takes it to another level in terms of utility, especially as a travel lens. It's my most-used lens, and, pixel-peeping aside, many of the images I've gotten with it stand up to all but the most particular scrutiny.

13. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
  14. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hey, if it's working for you, that all that matters ! The kit is pretty decent stopped down, it's wide open where it gets soft.

Anyway, I think the OP now has all the info he asked for, and then some ;)

15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Agreed! :D

Very cool images, izTheViz!

16. justa

justa TalkEmount Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    I agree with you - I've been really pleased with the kit lens, its capable of some great images

17. Dynamac

Dynamac New to TalkEmount

Jul 24, 2013
    Why do you not like the PZ 1650? It's pretty much perfect for what you are planning to do. I agree with the others and would compliment it with a fast prime for the interiors, but the 35f18 will not be wide enough in most cases I would suggest the zeiss 24mm, again if money is not an issue (it's a lens you can keep for life). Seeing as you are just starting off, I would stay away from anything manual or even A-mount lens with an adapter as A-mount lens do not have image stabilisation (with very few exceptions).