1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX + LA-EA1 + 2X teleconverter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Rafael Lopes, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Rafael Lopes

Rafael Lopes TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 28, 2011
    Did anyone ever try this combo?
    I've just bought a 70-300mm macro that would become a 210mm-900mm using a 2x teleconverter over the the LA-EA1. One thing is for sure...this would probably be one tough combo to test your manual focusing skills.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have a 2x, teleconverter and use it occasionally. I am not sure how it would work with the LA-EA1, so I will speak generally.

When you use a teleconverter you are adding another set of lens into the mix. There are three things to think about.

1- The light coming into the camera drops a bit. Not a lot, but it is noticeable. You will have to compensate when taking your pictures. In good daylight, this is not an issue. In dim light it could be.

2- Make sure the lenses are in good shape. If you get a crappy version, your images will suffer.

3- You are adding more length, two inches or so. To me not a huge issue, you have to decide.

All in all I am glad I have mine. I use it with both my 70-150 and 28mm, but only occasionally.

3. Rafael Lopes

Rafael Lopes TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 28, 2011
    Thanks, Dave. Those are all valid points.
    Like you I think I will be using the teleconverter only on specific situations. It's really not your everyday gadget.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I have a 2X teleconverter that I have used once on my 500mm F8 to take photos of the moon. It does test your manual focusing skills but this is where the NEX's focus peaking really shines. I was using a tripod when I took the pic in gale force winds, I think the image would be sharper if it wasn't so windy and it wasn't shaking the tripod.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales