NEX JPEGs

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by dixeyk, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    When it comes to BW I find that the SOOC BW images I get from my now 7 year old NEX 5n to be very nice. I can't put my finger on it but to my eyes the NEX images seem a bit richer and more analog. I do PP on each image but IMHO they start off better than the images from my Fuji X-P1 (and Fuji JPEGs are generally thought to among the nicest from mirror-less cameras). Of course, I suppose it really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I believe these are all with the Nikkor N 24/2.8

36118907714_8d37ba967b_b.
    safety tape
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

36532272250_0be4d75c9a_b.
    whimsy

36669855321_f59e451eec_b.
    up

36237060543_03f045eb5d_b.
    traction

• Like Like x 8
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 17, 2015
    Interesting Kevin.
    I'll be the first to admit, I haven't been very adventurous with my cameras as far as shooting anything but 'standard' pictures with them.
    I just set my Nex-7 to B&W with my old Canon 35 attached. I'll give that a try and see what I can come up with. I'll also dig out my Nikkor 24. I wasn't impressed with it when I first tried it, but I like what you've gotten from yours, so maybe it's just that it needs to be used as a b&w lens.
    Thanks for the motivation. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For whatever reason I find that the Nikkors and BW seem to really match up well. I also tweak the settings in the BW mode. I have it set to +2 Contrast and +1 Sharpness.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    All very nicely composed. I too may have to experiment with my B&W mode more.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As long as your settings are fine, JPEG's can get you very pleasant shots.

6. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    So here's a crop from the -7 w/Canon 35. SOOC except for the crop. A plant we have growing in the garden out back.

DSC06356-1.
    Just so many shades of grey to be seen.

• Like Like x 5
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    X2.....speaking only for myself, if I can't make a .jpeg acceptable with the few basic sliders...and have to revert to "post image re-manufacturing mode"...then I feel like I haven't managed the camera / lens / conditions very well but that's just me.

IMO, the NEX7 does a good job in B&W...I've been amazed at some of the after dark / extremely low light Deer shots I've managed to pull off at ISO 800-1600, B&W contrast & sharpness both set to +2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I sometimes get asked why I like to shoot JPEG and it's because I feel that it's akin to shooting film. Although I appreciate the lattitude you get using RAW I like the challenge of getting it as right as I can SOOC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Lovely...a good friend of mine described the look of the Sony BW images as having cleaner mid-range tones where my Fuji for instance looks more muddy in the mid-tones. I tend to agree with him. What Canon 35 is it the RF 35/2?

10. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    No, it's the one I posted a pic of in your other thread:
    Nikkor-O 35/2

• Like Like x 1
  11. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Ahhh...that's a 35/2.8 LTM correct?

12. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Yes, it is.
    One of my favorite lenses.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    But the other side is that we live in a digital age, on a digital format. Why not take advantage of the abilities.

I generally agree with you that it is better to get it right when shooting, but love that I can do so much to make a better image when I goof up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I know it slows me down and makes me THINK more when I try to get it right the first time SOOC.

Otherwise I just snap away like there's no tomorrow and don't get any good shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Generally, I like to get the best image I possibly can straight out of the camera, keeping an eye on the histogram, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, framing, etc.

And then, when I get back in front of my computer, I’m always happy to have all of the exposure and color latitude that shooting raw gives me.

Best of both worlds!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I think my 'next step' will have to be paying attention to the histogram in camera. So far, I'm happy if I can select the correct shutter speed based on the ISO and aperture settings I've chosen. What I've found though is that that isn't necessarily 'correct' once I download the image. It may give me a decent exposure, but the histo may be skewed one way or the other. What I usually do is hit the 'auto' correct button in my software program just to see what changes it would make. That usually spreads the histo out a lot more than the original shot. Sometimes I go with that, others I make changes that suit my taste a little more than it would, but it always gives me a good leg up on what to change as I'm a total ninkompoop when it comes to knowing where to start.

17. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    For me, it's because I work in IT and tech support so photography is a kind of respite from what I do all day. I would shoot film but getting good developing and prints is tough to find where I live and (then there's the cost). I would develop my own film but believe it or not photo chemicals is on the short list of things I am not allowed to have any contact with being a cancer survivor.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Exactly!!!