Nex in camera HDR feature

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by applemint, Dec 9, 2012.

1. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Not a particularly good picture, but I was messing around with the in camera hdr today and it's quite an impressive little feature. It takes 3 shots and combines them to increase dynamic range - you can choose the level from 1 to 6 EV I think and it only works in jpeg.

Here it's set to EV 3, first the original jpeg and then with the hdr:

EdinburghChristmas091212P00ichdr1.

EdinburghChristmas091212P00ichdr2.

Quite a difference. I used 3 as 6 makes it look like an oil painting! ;)

It works best with static images, but also seems to be quite a good way to reduce motion blur in some cases, while in others it creates a ghosting effect where you get a double image of the moving person.

2. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah I use it a lot in my long exposure night photos. The only downside is that it really does show up how small the NEX 5N's on board computer is. You can almost go away and make a cup of tea in the time it takes to process the images of a long exposure shot. Doesn't half eat the battery too obviously.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yes, I did notice the battery level dropping rapidly. The HDR seemed to work quite well sometimes and other times the shot was messy - this fairground one worked okay though:

EdinburghChristmas091212P007.

4. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    It's worth mentioning that HDR only really works best in a scene with high dynamic range in the first place. There's a lot of stuff of Flickr, for example, where folk have used either in-camera HDR or PP in a scene that was too flat to start with.

5. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    Tell me about it. The pre-requisite of so much of the landscape photography you get on Flickr these days seems to be - 1. Owning a Canon 5D and 2. Having the HDR cranked up to 11. People seem to have actually forgotten that it is possible to take a a great photo that either has only a subtle use of HDR or none at all. Its used so often as a crutch for some otherwise pretty dull pictures.

Sorry rant over.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    98 of 100 HDR pictures I see are either totally bad or would be much better without HDR. So please be careful when to use this feature!

Oh, and I don't consider the in-camera feature a real substitute for a 'real' HDR processing software like HDR Efex Pro - even if you don't use any filter or effect the latter gives you a mite pleasing image without this obvious HDR look. The demo is definitely worth a shit if you are interested in HDR photography.