Nex-F3 and flashes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Nov 27, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I would like to improve my flash skills with my nex-f3.
    I would like some help
    1. on the external flashes I can use on my nex-f3
    2. if you know any good practice workflow. Tough with flash usage is that I can not predict how the image would look like (i.e reflectivity of surfaces vary a lot).
    3. Any good books tutorials on the subject of lighting?

Regards
    Alex

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Read Lightning 101 from here
    http://www.strobist.blogspot.fi/

I think that real address of the site is strobist.com. Very good information about off camera flash.

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    what options are there for flashes that I can connect on my nex camera?

Regards
    Alex

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Sony makes a couple of flashes for it (F3 does have the accessory port?), you can use external flash with slave mode, you can put adapter for ISO shoe to it (the smor one does have a switch to tell the camera that you use flash), Allacax Next II remote trigger allows use of wireless manual flash.

It depends largely about the question does F3 have the accessory port or not. Without it the only solution is use external flash in slave mode.

5. Shutterdad

Shutterdad TalkEmount Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    The F3 does have an accessory port.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi thanks for the nice answers.
    What is external flash in slave mode?
    Today I bought some ping pong balls to make diffuser for my nex-f3 flash... Very dissapointing results
    Alex

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Most modern cheap flashes have a optical slave mode. In it the flash fires when it sees another flash to go off.

Radio flash triggers are much nicer to use and not very expensive. I have Allacax Next II that is designed to the old Nex accessory port (the nice thing is that it informs the camera that there is a flash and the LCD is bright). If I would start over I would get Allacax Smor flash adapter, 2-3 Youngnuo YN560 III and Youngnuo RF 603 flash trigger transmitter.

With bigger flashes there are quite many choices. I like Flambency diffuser lot but it needs quite much power (the reason I an getting Youngnuo YN560 III after Christmas) and umbrella reflector with diffuser (there are 3 kinds of umbrella diffusers, shoot thru, reflective and reflective with diffuser).

• Like Like x 1
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Sorry to hear that. I've had some great shots, but it does not work in all situations. You just have to learn when and where.

Also it tends to give a different color, so be prepared to adjust in PP.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    so what would you suggest for lighting that works for most situations? In reality, I am super low on bugdet so I was thinking that instead for going for external flash to have always with me a diffuser (pinpong ball or alternative) and a bounce so to avoid getting a new flash for 90% of the indoor shots.

I hope also others can give some ideas on that.

R
    A

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Bounce card is quite nice and cheap.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes but if I am not wrong is not really needed on my nex-f3 as I can always bounce by redirecitng flash upwards...
    the diffusers needs to be more needed

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    btw I got the advice to put some white cotton inside. I will try it today and I will let you know
    Alex

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Had not heard that one before.