1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'NEX eMount 35mm ƒ1.8 *Rumored* To Be Shown At Photokina'

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by RT_Panther, Aug 6, 2012.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    It sounds very interesting, l had read the article, but why not a 1.4?

2. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    SVK
    Ľubomír Brindza
    So that it won't cost an arm and a leg, probably.

3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Sony are being criticised about their lens size and f1.4 lenses are substantially larger than f2 lenses, just take a look at the difference in size between any of the main makers lenses for just ONE maximum aperture. People love the f1.4 lenses but actually this type of lens is largely redundant with digital cameras such as NEX that have superb image quality as iso rises. In the 35mm film era the extra aperture was really valuable since the quality difference between 200 iso and 400 iso was horribly visible,...but now not so much.......

4. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    True, I'd rather have a smaller 1.8 lens.
    If it is to be anything like 30mm Sigma, but faster; if it would have OSS on top of that, and manage to stay between 250 and 300 $, I would be satisfied.
    We always want more, but that would actually be more than enough. At least for me.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I believe I have read that lenses that short do not benefit from OSS, so very unlikely it will have stabilization. The rumored 11-18 zoom wouldn't have it either. OSS seems to start at 50mm, and so the 16-50G Zoom would have it.

Since I already have the Sigma, quite unlikely to pick up this one. It would have to be awfully impressive and fairly cheap. But if it is, then there won't be much value in selling the used Sigma, either :(

6. pictogramax

pictogramax TalkEmount Regular

Apr 16, 2012
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Yup, it used to be like that, but IS is starting to appear on wider primes also (Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Review | PhotographyBLOG)

And those having Sony kit lens can benefit from OSS on all focal lengths; I remember that IS was very useful on my Nikon 18-105 lens, not only on longer end, but also at 18mm, for shooting at dusk, for example.

Not that it's a deal breaker for me - ever since going NEX route I've been without stabilization and didn't experience real problems. So let's just hope the rumored lens stays on smaller and brighter side of kit lens and I'll be happy. I managed not to jump immediately at Sigma, even though I like what I'm seeing from that lens... That will leave me some room for choosing once we see what Photokina will bring.

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    This!

That's what got my juices flowing from the article. Apparently it's a pancake. In 35mm film terms this zoom would be a 17-27mm pancake AF zoom, fantastic!

This rumoured 11-18 pancake zoom (hopefully pocketable) will be the perfect companion for my 18-55 kit zoom. :)

I prefer MF for primes...

8. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Yeah... It's thrown me into a quandary. I'd love to pick up the Voigtlander 12mm in the original screw mount design. That's a lens I could then use on either the NEX or my old IV-SB. But an 11-18 zoom??? Boy that sounds nice. My daughter loves her 10-22 on the Canon 60D.

Decisions, decisions...

9. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I certainly hope the trend continues...

The general rule of thumb I've been taught in the ol' SLR film days - is that the lens focal length is roughly its minimum hand-holdable shutter speed. Lower than that, camera shake comes into play. Obviously the nearest available shutter value would apply.
    For example:
    210mm telephoto lens = 1/250sec minimun
    50mm standard lens = 1/60sec minimum
    28mm wide angle lens = 1/30sec minimum
    17mm super wide angle = 1/15sec minimum... and so on.

This is the underlying principle why OSS isn't such a biggie with wide angle lenses. Under the exact same lighting conditions, we could hand-hold a 17mm wide angle at 1/15sec with minimal risk of camera shake - but at this speed, hand-holding a 210mm telephoto would be disastrous (even with OSS).

However, the fantastic low-noise capability and IQ of our NEX sensors has given me this quirky appetite not only for hand-held dawn/dusk photography, but hand-held night photography as well (no flash, no tripod). This is where wide-angle-OSS could prove to be exciting.

I'm thinking of hand-held possibilities in night photography, with no flash, f11, at 1/4 to 1/15sec shutter speeds. Within these parameters, moving objects will blur while stationary objects won't... all encompassed by a very deep DOF. In fact at f11, OSS would prove to be more useful than AF...

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

that would be great, less noise in the pictures and whether the flash in suso nex5n got me dizzy, personalmete do not like, sometimes there is no option and use a high ISO, shows a lot of noise in your shots, if the rumor it's true, this 35mm ƒ1.8 with OSS would fit me perfect