1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX dreams dashed...for now. Decisions, decisions.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by ErickSaint, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    One of my good friends was going to sell me his NEX 5 when he got his 7 (sometime this week) for a screaming deal. He told me it had a few over exposure problems with toy mode and high contrast b/w since the last firmware upgrade. I was willing to overlook those small issues for the $200 price including kit 18-55, and a bunch of other extras. But He called me today saying that there was all kinds of other issues starting to pop up. LCD kinda going on and off, and a few other things involving "bumping it on somthing" to make it work. He said he wouldn't sell it to me with all these things happening because he knows I wont be happy with it.

But did offer possibly the whole kit for $100 to see if I could make it work. I tinker with electronics frequently and the thought of opening it up doesn't scare me at all, just have no idea what I would be looking for. Could just be a loose cable somewhere, or is it something else? Who knows.

Then started looking at kit prices around the net and ebay for a 5N, that 100 bucks could go towards a new kit. Or I buy it and then look for a 5n body only at a decent price. The SEL1588 seems to be going for at lease 200 on ebay. Decisions, decisions.

What would you do?

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Personally I'd get a 5N... they're getting cheaper new, just got to hunt around big store sales as they often want to get rid of last years stocks to make room for the latest releases. Some used 5N's are also beginning to show up because people are beginning to upgrade to the newer NEXs.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I'd opt for the 5n over the 5 with "issues".

4. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I'm leaning that direction. There is a decent looking 5 not 5n on ebay right now for a .99 bid and $13 shipping, no bids with a few days left, be curious what that ends at. But going the direction of the 5n will mean a bunch more waiting until I can save up the funds even for a good deal on one.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Do you plan on shooting dedicated or adapted lenses?

6. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I guess I haven't really made that choice yet. Over the past few weeks I have acquired a Rokkor 50mm/1.7, a Tele-Rokkor 200mm/3.5, an off brand CPC Macro 28mm/2.8, and a Fotasy 35mm/1.7. Of course gathering these at good prices, thinking I was getting the kit lens with the camera. Admittedly I have really only used auto lenses and was looking forward to trying the adapted MF lenses. But I'm sure there would be times that the dedicated lenses may suite the situation more.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    I ask because right now,
    NEX does not offer much in the choice of native lenses when compared to Micro Four Thirds & Fuji mirrorless systems....

8. ErickSaint

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I'm not sure how concerned I am with the lack of dedicated lenses. The majority of my shooting I think will be manual, but the kit lens would be nice to have in the bag. MF glass is much more cost effective for me at this time, fun money doesn't go as far as it once did.