1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Nex DIY tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Imasphere, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Imasphere

Imasphere TalkEmount Regular

Jan 22, 2014
    I looked around a bit for this type of thread but couldn't find one.
    I suggesting that we post on little homemade, DIY or low-priced solutions for our cameras and kits.
    As a starter, here's my new lens case: a small Glad plastic food cup. My 16-50mm Nex6 kit lens and my Minolta 45mm adapted lens fit perfectly in it.

Gladloc1a. Gladloc2a. [

• Like Like x 2
  2. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
  3. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    LENS HOODS

Modern lens hoods are mostly so inefficient that they are useless. In addition, if you use old glass from 35mm film SLR's then there is the crop factor to take into consideration as well. This means that jsut about all commercial lens hoods are large, expensive and pointless....there are a very few exceptions such as Leica hoods which are/were often well designed, but the Jap industry never really 'got it' about adequate hooding and this has carried over to now with hoods having to look the part rather than work well......

Making efficient, inexpensive and compact hooding is easy.....just aquire some suitable lens caps,...mark out with wax pencil or similar and then cut out by making a hole and then cutting away the surplus plastic with a small saw blade or even a hot knife etc. For 50mm and longer a round hole is easiest to do but for wide-angles a rectangle is better...in both cases just cut away until the edges of the opening disappear when viewed thru the lens/camera screen. The 'hoods' can be readiliy carried about becasue they are flat and take up no space....like this;

CIMG0983.

• Like Like x 2
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great idea

5. Imasphere

Jan 22, 2014
    @rtex42
    I just ordered a 70-205 zoom lens. I'll have to make one of those wooden lens supporters.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

6. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I know what I'm doing this weekend :D Just need 4 lens caps!

7. epracer71

epracer71 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Anyone know a decent method of creating a lens hood for a camera lens that does not have a filter thread on the front? My Minolta 135 f3.5 is missing the built-in lens hood, and instead only has an external thread on the front where the built-in lens hood would have attached. As a result, the above lens cap trick will not work. I would also love to be able to attach a lens cap to the front with whatever modification.

Thanks

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't know nif these tricks are decent but pieces of plastic pipe work very well as hoods and you can take a piece of black paper and make a hood from it too.

9. epracer71

epracer71 TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 16, 2014
    Ya I am using a piece of white paper and a rubber band right now. If I can find a scrap piece of pipe I'll try that. Else I might just see if I can find a good looking 135 f2.8 to replace the f3.5. Thanks

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am testing 135mm lenses right now and I think that f:3.5 are generally better bet. At the moment Jupiter 37A is in tops (pretty good image quality, nice handling, good mechanical quality and light weight).

I think that suitable piece of black plastic sheet might be pretty practical solution for a carry along lens hood.

I have metal cylindrical lens hoods for most of my lenses. These have inner threads in oter end so they may work as a hood reversed in your case.

11. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    here is mine, inexpensive finger loop using cable ties and a split ring, works as a "dock" for my wrist strap too
    <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/mathieu_decodts_photography/11438305116/player/8ce23d7a64" height="682" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 2
  12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Would you please give us a pic of the rear of your lense caps?

Attached Files:

14. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I wanted to maximize the operational distance & angles for remote control wildlife shots & video from behind my NEX-7…experimented with different size & shape reflectors and settled on this...works great out to the 25 feet I've tested it so far.

• Like Like x 2