1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX camera compared to SLT cameras

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Luke, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke New to TalkEmount

Aug 27, 2013
    I'm wondering if any here shoot NEX and the DSLR-like bigger Sony bodies. I'm considering an a77 to use for action and all-around general photography. I already have a very nice compact, so it's like I need the smaller body. Can anyone compare to the different cameras in any meaningful ways I may not think of? WIll the a77 really be a big improvement over something like an NEX-6. If you didn't care about the size difference which would you get? Also, it seems there is a much larger selection of lenses for the bigger alphas...that is also appealing.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Image quality is the same (well, NEX cameras are a tiny bit better at high ISO because of the translucent mirror in the SLTs), SLTs (not Alphas, because NEX cameras are also Alphas) are bigger, usually have more buttons and a better menu system. That's about it - you won't get any better image quality from an SLT over a NEX because they use the same sensors (NEX-7 has exactly the same sensor as the A77). Oh, and of course A-Mount vs. E-Mount, but both mounts feature some awesome lenses now.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    A Mounts will give you better action AF performance...

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    True - at the moment. Looking at some of the NEX competition, it can't take more than a few years until NEX cameras have as good or even better AF than SLTs.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Wouldn't LAEA2 provide the same performance ? I don't know as I don't own one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

6. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Yes the LA-EA2 provides phase detect focusing for A-mount lenses on a NEX. The adapter contains the mirrors that essentially turns the NEX into a DSLR. It is a bit bulky, however, but works quite well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Still seems like a cheaper and less bulky solution to getting a whole new camera body ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

8. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Oh definitely still more portable than a full body DSLR, and in my opinion more flexible. I use the LA-EA2 adapter when I borrow my wife's A-mount glass, and still have access to my E-mounts, not to mention the manual legacy Minolta lenses I use with a $10 adapter.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app

9. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    So, I was thinking about getting a dedicated "semi-pro" camera to use for paid work. However upon stumbling across this thread I am thinking I can save myself some space and money with the LA-EA2. How quick is the autofocus? I would slap it on the Nex 5n and grab a Minolta 35mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.7. How is the battery life? Does it affect that negatively? Thanks.

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    AF is as fast as with the A65, battery life is about 60% of a SLT but spare batteries are cheap and small.