• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

NEX-C3 Sensor Brings Improved Edge/Corner Lens Performance?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
There have been comments in various forums about the NEX 16/2.8 performing better on the NEX-C3 than it does on the NEX-5 and NEX-3. Supposedly the C3 has improved microlenses to better deal with off-axis incident light.

Such a refinement would be expected to help with color and sharpness in the edges/corner of the frame with non-telecentric lenses. Pretty much any small wide angle lens and even some of the smaller normal lenses ought to benefit.

I just came across a terrific demonstration of this in the Xitek forums: http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=902861

The NEX-7 is expected to offer:
  • 24MP sensor with improved microlenses to handle off-axis light
  • Class leading EVF
  • Peaking functionality
Sounds like a heck of a camera for adapted legacy lenses. The only thing missing would be in-camera stabilization.

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
It certainly seems like they have made some improvements to handle edge/corner performance. Sony has done a remarkable job of putting features into their cameras that enhance the use of legacy lenses. It shows me that they care about enthusiasts who use the NEX system and that is one of the reasons I sold my GF-1 and bought a NEX. As someone who prefers legacy lenses on my mirrorless camera, I may be a niche user, but it is a niche that Sony doesn't seem to be ignoring.

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm not all that interested in manual focus myself, but it's definitely one of the huge draws for mirrorless cameras. I completely agree with you - Sony seems to be taking good care of those who enjoy using adapted lenses!

Delhaye

TalkEmount Rookie
Using legacy lenses is justified by the lack of native fast primes. Auto-focus is always better, but manual focusing in the NEX is a breeze. Great that SONY is thinking of those using manual focus lenses...

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
From the beginning, I thought that Sony made the right call in picking a short registration distance. It makes it harder to design high performing lenses in the short run, but in the long run it should pay off as sensor technology improves.

madmaxmedia

TalkEmount Regular
This is an old thread I came across, but just a minor point. Registration distance only measures distance from where lens is mounted, not where the rear element of the lens is- the rear element can be offset from the registration distance so internal lens design can be flexible in that regard? In other words the short registration distance doesn't necessarily mean shorter length from rear lens element to camera sensor.

The apparent length of the lens body might differ, but I think that would be it. But I think the short NEX registration distance does provide more versatility.

From the beginning, I thought that Sony made the right call in picking a short registration distance. It makes it harder to design high performing lenses in the short run, but in the long run it should pay off as sensor technology improves.

Latest threads

Top Bottom