NEX C3 night time shooting, advice please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by davegore2005, Oct 14, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    We are going to a Halloween lantern festival in a few weeks, obviously at night time, do you guys think I would be better using the flash on my NEX C3 permanently, or seeing what results I get without, it's set in a local park, there are lights around, and obviously the light from the lanterns too.....I have included a link from flickr of some other peoples pictures from last year to give you a feel of the event
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=liverpool lantern festival
    How good is the NEX C3 in these kind of conditions as I haven't really used it outside in dark conditions yet.
    Any advice or opinions appreciated
    Dave

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Never. Use. The. Flash. At. Night.

If you want to get photos that are not just technically good, but also capture a bit of the atmosphere, dial up the ISO to 3200 or so, grab the fastest lens you have (f/1.8 would be great, but even with f/3.5 of your kit lens you should be able to get good images).

The image below, for example, has been taken with my NEX-5 (first gen, so your C3 is going to be even better) at ISO 6400 (f/5.6, 1/100), and the image quality is just beautiful. Don't be afraid of using high ISO.

Just click on it and then right click in Flickr on it to view it in full resolution. Or browse my photostream there - I've got dozens of shots at or above ISO 3200 and NEVER used the flash at night.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It all depends on which lenses you have. Anything 2.8 or less, combined with and a higher ISO should be ok without flash, as long as there is not a lot of movement. Anything above that and you are going to need some aid.

There are a couple of modes that might be helpful to you if you are uncomfortable with the manual modes.

1- ANTI MOTION BLUR takes a composite of several shots without the flash. Used this successfully many times.

2- Under the SCN, we also have NIGHT PORTRAIT. This one uses the flash.

My biggest suggestion would be to try this out BEFORE the big night.

4. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    thanks for the advice so far...that pic is amazing Poki, even the dust in the spotlight, brilliant.....I have a 28mm and a 50mm Canon FD lenses, practice could be a problem as it's a one night event....but I suppose shooting as soon as I get there and trying to see the results may do it.....difficult though on a 2 inch or so screen.

Dave

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks, was my first concert shooting, and once you figured everything out, shooting in dim light conditions isn't all that hard.

The two primes should work nice. Just two things: Look at the histogram in playback mode - the pictures might look okay on the screen and are totally dark when you look at them on the computer, and use focus peaking on it's highest mode -- will make focusing on the sharp 3 inch screen of the C3 manageable.