1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

NEX-C3: is it good enough?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by macjim, Aug 11, 2011.

1. macjim

macjim TalkEmount Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    So, did the heading get you curious? Here's the question in full: Sony NEX-C3; is it good enough to replace a Nikon D90 as my main camera. I know the D90 is a large DSLR and has a larger choice of lenses, but it is a heavy bit of kit and, after a days trudging around taking photographs, it can be a pain in the neck, literally!
    So, what do you think?

---
    - Cheers, Macjim.

---
    - Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    It's a very personal question, but for me the answer would be "Yes" once the right lenses are available. The 16 and 50mm primes would cover most of my needs. The Zeiss 24 would certainly cover the rest, but $1000 (the rumored price) would be too rich for me!

3. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    MF or AF? Which lenses? I'd say no -- can't replace a DSLR if you like AF. The lenses aren't there. If you are an MF person, yes. If you only shoot with the lenses that are currently available (as Admin highlighted), then a qualified yes. It's likely a good supplement, though.

4. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    For me personally the NEX3/5 can't replace a DSLR fully for four main reasons: the current shortage of lens options, though that should change over time; the lack of a viewfinder (either optical or electronic); the slower operating and AF speeds; and the absence of a proper hot shoe for using high powered guns and off camera flash.

The NEX-7 certainly solves the VF issue, the hotshoe issue and may address the speed issue. The question then is how long it will be before a wide enough range of lenses is available.

5. Delhaye

Delhaye TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 19, 2011
    Manchester, UK
    I'm with the guys... For the moment it's all about the lenses.... Not enough compared to the enormous offer from nikon....

6. Alexandru Constantin

Alexandru Constantin New to TalkEmount

Aug 21, 2011
    ROMANIA
    In my opinion YES. I am an amateur photographer and I want to switch from 550d to nex c3 ..

7. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    I've decided that the NEX-5n is a better option even though it's a £100 extra. Why have I decided that? Well, it's because of this: the lower ISO (100), touch screen focus, better grip and a slightly better processor (BIONZ) plus, a detachable OLED viewfinder! Ok, the viewfinder is an optional extra but that is something that can be bought at a later date when the money is available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. macjim

Aug 10, 2011
    Today I decided to go for the twin kit lens NEX-5N and traded in my Nikon D90 so I'm committed now. Until it comes into stock, I'll continue to use my Leica D-Lux 5. Can't wait to get my hands on the 5N.

Cheers, Macjim.