1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

NEX C3 Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nick79, Aug 8, 2012.

1. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012
    Hello, to everyone this my first post here.
    First of all, sorry for my English, but it is not my primary language.
    Here is my situation:
    I'm beginner, till now I have Fuji 200EXR and mostly all the time I was using it in some of EXR modes. But I want to learn more. In order to do that I was reading some photography tutorials which cover basic themes such as aperture, shutter priority, ISO ets.
    Yesterday, I bought new Sony NEX C3 Double kit and I read user manual. So, I have some questions about this camera.
    Can someone of experienced users give mi some guidelines in using this camera and settings of camera. Something like, for outdoor use ISO about 200 or 400 and indoor use between 800 and 3200. I know that this depends of lighting conditions on the scenes, but I wish if someone could share his or her experience with behavior of this camera, some basic guidelines.
    My plan is something like this: In the beginning I will shoot in A or in S mode (depends if I want to manipulate DOF or if I want to express motion)and left ISO to Auto. And after some time, when I get used to camera to move to M mode. I notice one thing, in
    order to change ISO in M mode, I must go trough couple menus. I already read in user manual that I can assign some custom actions to buttons.
    So my second question is if someone could write me their settings. I know that depends of personal preferences, but I think that those setting of some experienced user may be good starting point for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Halka

Halka TalkEmount Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    SVK
    Ľubomír Brindza
    The C3 should be pretty configurable. You can assign functions to buttons "C" (middle of the directional pad), "B" (bottom) and I think on the C3, also "X" ('right' on the directional pad, I have no idea how it is labeled).

Since you have no manual lenses so far, you can probably go ahead and set the ISO menu on the "B" button. The "C" button can be set so you have multiple (up to three) settings available (the "Custom" option), personally I have creative styles, white balance and AF point there most of the time. Since I use the NEX-5 I can not customize the "X" button (which is occupied by flash settings by default), and I have no idea what should I put there :D

3. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012
    @Halka
    Thank you for reply. Yes, C3 can have up to 5 custom actions assigned to C button. But as I can see, it cannot be assigned action of switchin between RAW and jpeg.

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I don't have a C3,...i'm still using the original NEX 3,...it's and excellent camera and I have made some superb 20x16 inch prints, including some that have made it into exhibition. I usually start from the idea that ANYTHING I shoot might need ot be printed as large as possible, so I want the best possible file that the camera (and I) can produce as a team.

I always use the lowest iso possible as quality (while still good) drops as iso increases. I also ONLY use the camera in 'A'...aperture priority mode as that is the best for serious use since it offers optimum facility all round. I have the 'soft' buttons customised for 'iso' 'flash adjust' (hardly ever use flash) and 'meter mode' (almost always use segment metering).

When using the camera in 'A' I watch the shutter speed on the back of the camera as it changes with the light being metered,........if shutter speed drops below 1/100 second I adjust iso upwards to bring it back. In really low light I set 1600 iso or sometimes more and then test to see what sort of shutter times come up on the screen.

With the 18 - 55 I ONLY use it on f8 (or very rarely f5.6) since, while an excellent lens, it has a parabolic performance curve with quality dropping off quickly either side of f8.

For use of depth of field and hyperfocal distance you are severly challenged with the Sony lenses since Sony sees no point in depth of field scales......At least, if there is a depth of field scale in the camera I have not been able to find it! These camera really come into their own in my view when you use non sony lenses from the 35mm era. More or less all of these lenses have manual focus and offer depth of field scales.

......Finally, you are correct in thinking that there is no quick way of changing from RAW to JPEG....you are forced to go via menu for this.

5. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012
    @Bugleone
    Thanks for reply. It helps me a lot. I read somewhere that the lens are sharpest somewhere at the middle of aperture - f8 in the case of 18-55mm.

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome nick79! :)

I haven't held or owned a C3 so I can't help you with the specifics. But here's some general tips which I hope you might find useful in some way.

There are two aspects in photography that will compete for your mind-space. The Visual aspect and the Technical aspect. In the beginning, these two are enemies and can often be in conflict with each other, but if you persevere with a relaxed but curious attitude, they will eventually become friends.

The technical aspect has to do with theory, and the tools that will enable you to apply the theory better. Important as it is, there is also a danger of allowing the majority of your attention to be entrapped in this area.

The visual or creative aspect has to do with your soul. Sometimes this is referred to as "having an eye." What you develop here is your ability to see what most of us don't see. It involves a situational awareness that can subconsciously anticipate the right spot and the right moment without wrestling with time and the elements. Whether in a controlled studio or out in the field, this exploratory temperament is visionary and sense oriented - to see in your mind the nucleus of an image even before you look through the camera.

Try to make it your goal to develop the technical without neglecting the visual.

7. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012
    @Dioptrick
    Thank You for reply. Yes I'm aware that there are two aspects in photography. While technical aspects can be learn, the artistic aspect is more imaginary and it is more difficult to evolve. I'm hobyst and my first goal is to learn technical stuff and I also hope that my creative eye will develop by time. Also, currently I'm learning technical stuff from some video tutorials, and later I will find some books with good photos of pro photographers and try to see and grasp what pro photographers shoot, in what way etc.I don't expect to became pro over night. As I said, my primary goal is to be good as I can in shooting technically good photos.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    welcome mate, I hope you dsifrutar the group and congratulations on your new acquisition, I use the nex5n and believe me, is not much difference between nex3C, I'm just a fan and I love photography, it's a very interesting hobby, try playing with all the custom options , you can customize the buttons so that it is easier for you and your needs.

My current mapping is:

Bottom Soft key next to the screen: Brings up main control dial for shooting mode selection

Right side of Direction pad: ISO

Custom center button: , AF/MF, Creative modes, RAW/JPG selection, WB, D-Range

9. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012

10. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
  11. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    That is a good goal.

Just in case you haven't downloaded this yet, here's the official handbook (170 pages) and the manual for the C3 (85 pages). You might be able to find some of the answers to your questions in there.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/NEXC3_handbook.pdf

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/NEXC3.pdf

12. nick79

nick79 New to TalkEmount

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks Dioptric, I already download it and read it.